Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1.Sniper 5 Fan speed control issues

G1.Sniper 5 Fan speed control issues
« on: April 28, 2014, 12:55:37 am »
Hello everyone.
I have recently gotten a Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 motherboard and I am having issues with my fans running.

I am using EasyTune for my fans.
The system fans 2-5 are having random issues and has been tested using one fan on each connection.
When I boot my system, my fan will not activate and stay up to speed.
It will do one rotation every few minutes but never stays on.
If I go into my easy tune settings and go to RPM controls I can set it to full speed and it will kick it on.
Sometimes it will tell me that the fan is not detected if I keep changing the RPM up and down.
I have 3 other fans that work flawlessly in the system fan connections at the top of the motherboard and I have tried using those fans
in the lower connections and they end up doing the same thing, not wanting to stay activated or tell me they are not detected yet I know all these
fans that I have are in perfect condition.

I have also connected the fans to molex and that works perfectly.

So to review.
Fan loses connection while changing RPM more than half the time.
Fan does not activate when system boots more than half the time.
When the fan is not active it will do one full rotation and rock back and forth then stop for another 5-10 minutes.
This issue can be done over and over with multiple fans that work perfectly in the upper system fan connections.

Thanks for any help or info in advance.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: G1.Sniper 5 Fan speed control issues
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:34:22 am »
Maybe it is temp related have you check to seen what each fan temp has been set at. If the temp is low enough yes the fan will not run.

2nd/3rd System Fan Speed Control (SYS_FAN2 and SYS_FAN3 Connectors)
Allows you to determine whether to enable the fan speed control function and adjust the fan speed.
Normal Allows the fan to run at different speeds according to the system temperature. (Default)
Silent Allows the fan to run at slow speeds.
Manual Allows you to control the fan speed under the Slope PWM item.
Disabled Allows the fan to run at full speeds.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 05:05:17 am »
Hey, thanks for the reply.
Are you referring to settings that are in the bios for the fans? I will recheck those just in case.
I do know I have set the fan to a higher setting in bios before and it still did not launch when I booted the system.
Even using the Easy tune, I will set the PWM slope to 100 and it will sometimes force it to come on just like using the RPM settings.
I have set the slope like this.

At 20C fan should run at 50% and so on, it still does not want to start up most of the time. I always have to put the entire slope to 100% for all temps
to get it to come on and then I can set them to a more stable setting and it will run all day and even work if I reboot, it's normally cold boots that wont allow it to come on at least that is the way it seems.

Such an odd thing that it's doing, haha.

dmdilks

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 01:39:14 am »
Have you tried to do this in the bios just to see if they do run at full speed: Disabled Allows the fan to run at full speeds.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 05:55:28 pm »
Ok, Looks like while using the settings in the bios set to full speed, the fan will work that way.
Also, if I have it on silent mode it will come on in about 15 mins after booting.

Now, if I go to set things in the Easy Tune settings everything get's messed up.
The fan stops responding and won't come back on unless I reboot and keep messing around with the settings.
I just want to have full control in my software so that I can set it to speed up according to the temps.

For now I am just letting it run off the bios and what's weird is, that I can use the settings in easy tune to control my exhaust fan and my cpu cooling fans without any issues, I am afraid that maybe later it will fail and not run those fans but it only seems that the system fan connections on the bottom are the only ones having issues at this time when any fan is connected down there.

Recently, while having the bios set to full speed or silent, I tried adjusting settings in the easy tune and it turned the fan off and told me that it was not detected.

If I move the RPM slider up and down and click apply, I can see the fan start spinning for about 2 seconds then it goes back off and that's when I get the error in the software.

Things are just not adding up to what is going on here, I am assuming the bios and controls are fighting with each other or something. I don't know.
Should not be this complicated to get some fans working when I have had no troubles with the entire building process while making this computer.

I tried requesting help through Gigabyte and it's been about 2 months now and I have never been contacted to get help with this issue.
Motherboard is still under warranty and all but I get no help.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 05:56:09 pm »
Here's a picture of the Easytune settings with the error while trying to get the fan to run. http://imgur.com/0cpMYXB

dmdilks

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 07:14:55 pm »
I have to ask this is the fan plugs 3 pin or 4 pin. I could be wrong on this but the 4 pin plugs were made for that kind of support. The 4 pin plug fan you can better than a 3 pin fan. The 3 pin control by volts and the 4 pin is control by pwm.

On both 3 and 4 pin fans, one of the wires is used for speed sensing. So even 2 pin fans can be compared.
2 pins: Voltage and ground (the same as many other electrical devices)
3 pins: Voltage, ground, and RPM sensing
4 pins: Voltage, ground, RPM sensing, and PWM control

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 07:49:05 pm »
It's a four pin plug.

dmdilks

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 11:03:48 pm »
If they are 4 pin plugs on all the fans than it might something with the bios or the board. If they are 3 pin plugs than it could be more likely the fans.

I have never had any problems with case fans. No matter what were the plugs on the fans. Plus if you Google it 3 pin vs 4 pin you will find a lot on it.