Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-F2A88XM-HD3: CPU-fan doesn't wake up properly after sleep w/ Ultra Fast Boot

I just built a system with the GA-F2A88XM-HD3 REV 3.0 (BIOS: F5) for a friend of mine and installed Windows 8.1 (completely updated). With the BIOS-option "Fast Boot" set to "Ultra Fast Boot", I'm experiencing problems after waking from sleep. After waking up, the CPU-fan runs only at about 1100 RPM and doesn't go faster, even when load is produced. Furthermore, EasyTune shows the CPU temperature at 100 degrees Celsius. However, this value doesn't change at all, so I must assume the 100C is only a dummy value.

I'm particularly concerned about the 1100 RPM (I can barely hear the fan, and the value changes a bit from time to time like it normally does, so I think this reading is accurate). 1100 RPM is just enough for an idle system, but with load produced, the system will overheat.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Enter the BIOS after booting.
2) Select "Load Optimized Defaults" (So, the only non-default option will be step 3).
3) Set the "Fast Boot"-mode to "Ultra Fast Boot"-mode (*).
4) Save and exit. Windows will start.
5) On the Windows lock screen, click on the power button-icon and select reboot (**). After rebooting, Windows will start again.
6) On the Windows lock screen, click on the power button-icon and select sleep (***).
7) Wake up from sleep and you'll see that the CPU-fan is only at 1100 RPM and the CPU-temperature says 100C.

(*) The problem doesn't occur after setting the "Fast Boot" mode to "Enabled". After enabling "Ultra Fast Sleep", the only way to re-enter the BIOS-configuration is via Windows.

(**) The problem only occurs with a sleep after a reboot. However, once the problem has occurred, every sleep causes a bad wake-up, until the BIOS is reset.

(***) The sleep-mode used is hybrid sleep, but Windows just calls it "sleep".

Used system:
GA-F2A88XM-HD3 REV 3.0 BIOS: F5
AMD A8-5600K
Kingston HyperX FURY 8 GB 1866 MHz
Be quiet! System Power 7 350W
Crucial M500 240 GB
Samsung SH-224DB

Questions:
a) Is this a known problem / can someone reproduce this problem?
b) If so, will there be a BIOS-upgrade?

Thanks for your attention!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
EasyTune shows the CPU temperature at 100 degrees Celsius. However, this value doesn't change at all, so I must assume the 100C is only a dummy value.

I'm particularly concerned about the 1100 RPM (I can barely hear the fan, and the value changes a bit from time to time like it normally does, so I think this reading is accurate). 1100 RPM is just enough for an idle system, but with load produced, the system will overheat.

7. Wake up from sleep and you'll see that the CPU-fan is only at 1100 RPM and the CPU-temperature says 100C.

Be quiet! System Power 7 350W

What are you using for a cooler on the CPU? If it is that piece of junk the comes with the CPU that is the heat problem.

I have test the FM boards with different heat sinks and all of the ones that come with the CPU don't cooler very good.

Maximum operating temperature 74°C on that CPU.

The next thing is the power supply. This is just me but that is a little weak for that system. You could be maxing it out.

On the sleep mode I don't let any of my computers go into sleep. So I can't really help you on the that maybe some else can help on that one.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Hi dmdilks,

Just the cooler that came with the CPU. But I tested the system (without the sleep problem) with Prime95, and the temperature was at max 65-68C.

No, the real problem is the sleep-issue: with this problem as described, the max RPM of the CPU-fan is only 1100 RPM, and that's just too low. Haven't done any stress-testing with this RPM-level; I'm sure this isn't a good idea.

Anybody have any thoughts about the sleep-issue?

geekyadz

• In the land of the geeks
Don't use ultra fast sleep mode if you're that concerned about it. I seem to recall that sleep mode in windows isnt as good as shutting down a computer anyway (and to a certain extent, I am also finding this true; I always shut down my laptop however a mate leaves his laptop to sleep. Mine always seems fine but at times I've noticed his laptop has had a blue screen of death (namely when coming out of sleep). Both laptops are Windows 7 64 bit, with mine running Home Premium whilst his one runs Ultimate.

Personally I would download something like HWmonitor and test the CPU fan reading and the temp of the CPU there (esp as it generally measures on the core).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:27:11 pm by cchaos »
Nothing to see here, move along....

blackie

Not to beat a dead horse but I had this sort of thing happen to me with an MSI board I had. I bugged MSI with the fact that the board was not re-initializing the fan control in the BIOS after coming out of sleep like it did at normal startup. They fixed the error in the next BIOS for me.

In other words ask Gigabyte if the BIOS fan logic is handled properly after returning from sleep. It might just be a BIOS error.
GA-890GPA-UD3H Rev 2.1 (BIOS FF)
AMD X6 1090T o/c to 4.0 GHz - W Hyper 212 EVO cooler
Win 7 HP 64-bit SP1
(2) 4GB G.Skill PC12800 @ 1333 MHz
Corsair TX850 PS & 850D Case
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD & Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 250GB SATA HDs
ASUS GTX 560 TI (factory O/C'ed), Two 22" Monitors
LITE-ON iHAS42

Thanks for all the replies.

I built the computer for a friend of mine who isn't likely to notice any fan speed problems, hence my concern. I did not activate Ultra Fast Boot and haven't seen issues since then.

Asking Gigabyte about the BIOS is a good idea, will do that.

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
A 350W quality power supply is ok for that configuration.
Similar configuration that i have never gets over 200W in load ,even overclocked ,in heavy load.
The cooler included is able to deliver proper cooling with noise though.Smartly placed case fans could help with that too.

Sleep issues might be related to RAM as well as to the BIOS itself .
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:51:43 pm by Vezina »
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

Well, to conclude this thread:

I contacted Gigabyte e-support and got a reply a week later. They couldn't reproduce the problem with BIOS F6d and advised me to try version F6d. Will do that when I get the chance.

PJay

I have the same issue with Sleep too. Thanks, I'll try Fast boot rather than Ultra fast boot to see if it helps...

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,14957.0.html

PJay

I have similar issue with GA-H97-D3H (BIOS:F5)
It makes my CPU temperature -128C and fan speed won't work at all  :o

I have submitted a ticket but still no luck  >:(

Please fix this dangerous problem, GIGABYTE!

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=14957.msg91854#msg91854
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 04:19:53 pm by P.J »

PJay

Ok, Gigabyte just sent me a new BIOS and the problem has fixed! I can even use Ultra Fast Boot now  :D

For people with older BIOS, set 'Fast Boot' and leave 'PS2 Devices Support' as Enabled :)

Ok, great!

What's your new BIOS-version?