Official GIGABYTE Forum

ga-p55m-ud2 and 12V system fan starting issue

zeb

ga-p55m-ud2 and 12V system fan starting issue
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:15:26 pm »
Hi,

I have bought a ga-p55m-ud2 motherboard and am very happy with it. The only issue I have is that I have a 12V 120mm case fan, which I plugged to the SYSFAN connector on the motherboard. The issue is that although the SYSFAN connector should provide up to 12V (according to the doc), the fan does not start.

If I blow on the fan, however, it starts and stays low speed (~400 rpm). This is good to reduce the noise, however it seems that the SYSFAN voltage is regulated according to the temperature, and does only provide 5V at start, which is not sufficient to start the fan (but once the fan has started, it can be maintained at low speed with this voltage). This is a well known issue for many 12V fans: they can run under low voltage, but cannot be started this way.

What the motherboard should do, is provide 12V during boot, then reduce voltage subsequently. I looked if there was an option in the bios, but did not find it. Is there a way to do this ? Could it be fixed in a future bios release ? Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:25:59 pm by zeb »

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: ga-p55m-ud2 and 12V system fan starting issue
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:11:53 pm »
Is there any option to disable the temp fan control so it spins at 100% all the time? If not the easiest way would probably be use a fan -> molex connector, I personally prefer this method anyway as don't like the idea of uncessesary voltages running through my board. You could also use a fan controller to turn the fans down if they get too noisey for you
There's no place like ::1

zeb

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 05:34:20 pm »
Is there any option to disable the temp fan control so it spins at 100% all the time?

Well, disabling the temp fan control so it spins at 100% all the time is not exactly what I want, because that would mean high noise level, continuously and unnecessarily. What would be needed is that the motherboard starts the SYSFAN with a 12V tension (during POST), as the motherboard supports this according to the doc, and then reduces the voltage to the level required by the temperature (as it probably does currently).
Otherwise, the molex adapter might be a solution indeed. thanks.

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:00:38 pm »
Yeah that combined with a fan controller so you can manually set fan speeds etc. Or setting the sysfan to run at 100% and either use a quiet fan and or a 7v adapt. I would personally prefer the molex adapt + fan controller option.
There's no place like ::1

zeb

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:45:47 pm »
Do Gigabyte Bios developers read this forum ? I would like to know where I could propose this idea.