Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87X-UD5H: no boot with DualBios and no image from DVI

Hikari

Z87X-UD5H: no boot with DualBios and no image from DVI
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:21:00 am »
Hello guys. Sad day today, I'm begging for help now :(

I just bought a Z87X-UD5H rev 1.1. I have it installed with i5-4690 Haswell Refresh,  Corsair RM650 and 4x GSkill RipjawsX F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL. No GPU installed.

When I first plugged everything, I tried to turn it on and no luck. Case fans were working, but CPU fan just moved quickly and stopped. It stayed on this loop until I'd manually hold power button.

I tried both BIOS and same issue. When I tried to disable DualBIOS, CPU fan turned on...

And only that. I have a monitor connected to the motherboard using its DVI connector. It got no image. I tried another monitor and still no image. It's as if the monitor is connected to a powered off PC.

I tried removing 3 RAM and leaving only 1 in DIMM1. Nothing changed.

I don't know BIOS version, since I never got it to boot and see any POST info. In both situations I got I have no Debug LED info, it's always off.

So now I have 2 issued. It doesnt boot when DualBIOS is enabled, and even if it's disabled I have no monitor image.

I even thought on asking for a monitor with DisplayPort to test, or a GPU. But I didn't bother. Intel CPUs have their IGP and lots of ppl use it, and DVI is the most popular video connector.

Am I forgetting something? Or should I just RMA it?

ex58

Re: Z87X-UD5H: no boot with DualBios and no image from DVI
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 07:28:23 am »
First check your CPU socket if any pins are bent.
Second,check all PSU connections and be sure that CPU air cooling is not tight to much.
Third,try to Clear_CMOS.
Btw,
if you don't have any indication on debug led indicator,power supply is maybe problem.

Hikari

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 11:55:43 am »
I don't have anohter PSU to test :/ connectors are well plugged.

I will buy some thermal paste to reinstall CPU.

I don't think it's either PSU or CPU, because if I enable DualBIOS it doesn't even power on. If it was PSU in example, it would never power on, regardless of DualBIOS config.

Hikari

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 02:09:32 pm »
Could it be incompatibility with Haswell Refresh and BIOS version?

IDK BIOS version because I never saw it. But if BIOS is before F8, won't mobo power up? And why would it make difference if it's in dual or single bios mode?

Anybody has more details of how the mobo behaves if Haswell Refresh is used on it with outdated BIOS?

ex58

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 02:40:54 pm »
Any indication on debug led indicator?
Any lights on board?

Yup,
Haswell Refresh is suported since BIOS F9.

http://www.gigabyte.my/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4483

Edit:
borrow from somebody normal haswell and try to update BIOS......
or maybe install (borrow) video card (not to use from CPU)...till you can update BIOS to F9.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:48:17 pm by ex58 »

Hikari

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 02:58:39 pm »
borrow from somebody normal haswell and try to update BIOS......
or maybe install (borrow) video card (not to use from CPU)...till you can update BIOS to F9.

Could it be that video isn't being showing because BIOS doesn't support Haswell Refresh? I'll get my GPU and try to use on it.

Hikari

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 03:23:54 pm »
I plugged offboard GPU and still no image on monitor.

If the issue is in outdated BIOS, I'll need another CPU :(

ex58

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 04:03:52 pm »
Again asking you......Any indication on debug led indicator?

Hikari

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 04:55:05 pm »
Sorry, forgot go answer it.

1. When I plug power cord, mobo's power button lights on.
2. With offboard GPU and SingleBoot, when I press power button, all 3 case coolers start spinning and never stops, CPU cooler quickly spins and stops twice then starts spinning. The only LED that lights on is MBIOS.

If I press power button with DualBios enabled, it keeps powering on and off in loop. When it tries to power on, CPU cooler quickly spins and stops. MBIOS lights on and debug LED lights on quickly, then MBIOS goes down and BBIOS lights on and quickly gopes down.

debug LED shows its left/decimal led totally off, and its right/unity LED lights on all its leds, ecxept to top left and middle ones:
__
    |
|   |
----

I already tried CCMOS. I have no other CPU to test, so if this is expected behavior when Haswell Refresh is used then I'll need to buy a Haswell to be able to update BIOS.

ex58

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 05:28:34 pm »
So.no indication on debug LED indicator or any "beep" from speaker?

Did you connect CPU socket with 8 pin power supply (on the top of the board)?......ATX_12V_2x4

Hikari

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 06:01:07 pm »
Yes, no beep at all an d that's the only sign from debug led, which is not documented.

Corsair RM650 explicitly supports Haswell. 8 pins on top connector, all pins on right connector.

Is there any article detailing how a Z87 mobo, preferably Z87X, behaves when Haswell Refresh is used with outdated BIOS?

ex58

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 07:03:14 pm »
It's to early for article.....
Do you have some friend with haswell,to try?
or maybe in some computer center.....

Hikari

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 08:16:18 pm »
I went to other side of town and asked in a lot of computer stores. None have a Haswell CPU to use, most only sell and support complete computers.

The biggest ones said that even if they had they'd not do it for me (or just plug their CPU so I could do), because of the risk of breaking the mobo of going out of surge during update.

Hikari

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 08:54:45 pm »
Isn't there a way to update BIOS without entering Setup?

I know it can be done over Windows (I was gonna do it) and from Setup. But isn't there a way to say plug a pendrive, hold a button and make it update in early stage before it tries to detect CPU?

Hikari

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 08:15:19 pm »
Well I'm RMAing the mobo, seller will update BIOS and send me back.

Let's hope it all goes well and I can have my new PC :(

tnx for the help