Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-8I945P-G mouse and keyboard stop working. And other issues

Hello, I would appreciate any help offered on this issue please.
I realise this board is a bit 'long in the tooth', but I like trying to get older computers up and running again, just for something to do.
I have loaded Vista Ult. on this board with4 gb Ram.
Problem: the computer usually boots OK, [See item 2], but:
1;  if left idle for a few minutes, the USB mouse stops working, as does the PS/2 keyboard.
2;  the bios switches back to wanting to start in RAID after the computer has been off for several hours, even tho I have disabled it in the bios. When this happens I find the bios has enabled RAID
I have just checked the bios and noticed the USB setting for mouse has reverted to 'disabled'
I also noticed the time and date  were wrong again.
I may be about to answer this for myself....that is it's likely the CMOS battery is faulty/dead.
But anyone with any other thoughts? EG does this board have a history of faulty chips.
Not sure where to find the Bios version...help on that issue alone would be really appreciated
Thanks in anticipation
Aussie Greg

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-8I945P-G mouse and keyboard stop working. And other issues
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:07:12 pm »
Hi Greg,

I don't know of any problems with this board and I don't remember seeing many posts complaining about these issues on it.

First thing to do is replace the CMOS battery, especially if the date & time is being lost. The battery will usually need to be replaced every few years and if the board has been stored for a long time without any power it is probably on its last legs.

The BIOS version should be shown on the Splash screen when you first power up the PC. But, if you don't spot it then, press F9 on the BIOS main screen and a pop-up screen should come up and give you the system details.

You could just reflash the BIOS with the latest version from here:  http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1906#bios and I would recommend using the QFlash utility to do this. This should overwrite all of the previous settings and get the BIOS back to its default settings.

If you have lost the User's Manual you can also download that from here: http://download1.gigabyte.eu/Files/Manual/motherboard_manual_8i945p(pro)(-g)_e.pdf
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:55:30 pm »
Hello absic.
My apologies for not replying sooner.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I genuinely appreciate that.
Replacing the CMOS battery appears to have worked...the date stays correct, the 'wanting to start in RAID' each boot time has ceased and the mouse and keyboard issues have gone...so many thanks for your input there.
At this stage, I have downloaded the BIOS update, F11, but have not proceeded with installation yet.
Now if only the installation of Service packs was as easy as installing a CMOS battery!!!!! But that's not an issue for this forum.

Again many thanks....I often think about the level of expertise which is out there, and even more about how people like yourself are so willing to part with that knowledge...makes an older guy like me feel really good about things.

Thanks AG.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:36:06 am »
Oops...spoke too soon!
The mouse/ keyboard problem persists.
I can't workout if it is a Vista O/s problem or a problem with the controller chip.
Both the Keyboard and Mouse will work for a while, and that can vary from about a minute to 30+ minutes, but then the mouse freezes, and then , sometimes the keyboard freezes. On occasion, I have attached a different mouse and/or used a different USB port, and device drivers are loaded, but then nothing...IE the mouse or keyboard doesn't work.
I have tried USB and PS/2 mouse and keyboard...similar results.
All manner of thoughts going thru my head... EG: Does the PCIE controller also control the USB outlets? If so would I get a better result changing the video card from a PCIE to a PCI?
What more info can I give to help solve the issue?
I have also noticed that when the computer is turned off, there is still power to the PS/2 keyboard...that is the Num. Lock light is still on...that seems a bit unusual to me.
I look forward to anymore input please.
AG,
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:39:35 am by Aussie Greg »