Official GIGABYTE Forum

G41M-ES2H Windows 7/Vista Hangs after install

G41M-ES2H Windows 7/Vista Hangs after install
« on: March 10, 2010, 01:22:27 am »
After installing Windows 7 it gets hung up on the 'starting windows' screen.  All the little colored balls come together one time and then the keyboard seems frozen and the loading goes no further.  I have left the pc running over night just to rule out an abnormally long load time.  I tried installing vista to determine whether it might be my copy of windows 7 that was faulty.  I got an almost identical result when installing vista.  Any suggestions from anyone?

Some things I have tried are

1.  Removing the video card entirely and using the on board video

2.  testing out many many different bios settings to try and get a different result...one promising one that I kept reading about was switching sata to combined mode a.k.a. running sata in ide mode.

3.  trying a different motherboard all together..I had a G31M-ES2L before trying this board.  Should have gone with a different manufacturer I'm thinking.

my current setup is..

Gigabyte G41M-ES2H motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6700 - Processor

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR8002GK - Memory

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support - Video Card

Antec TP3 Tre Power Trio 650W power supply

Going to try some different memory and / or a different power supply if I can get to a friend's house soon.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: G41M-ES2H Windows 7/Vista Hangs after install
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 07:54:41 am »
What make of HDD are you trying to install onto?

Some of the so called "Green" or "Power saving" models can cause this type of issue.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.