Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H97-D3H will not start with GV-N210SL-1G1 installed, Win8

I am building a new system based on a GA-H97-D3H with Pentium G 3240 (Haswell Refresh) installed and the memory is Kingston ValueRAM KVR16N11/8, 1x8GB, DDR3-1600, PC3-12800, CL11.

When the system was first built i could not boot it at all and started taking out cards. By taking out a Promise TX2300 Raid controller card I could get it to boot. It had the graphics card GV-N210SL-1G1 installed and would start the Windows 8 installation without any obvious problem.

After the installation is complete and it's rebooted a few times every time when it starts up it shows the regular Windows 8 boot icon and progress indicator, it gets to the point of changing the display mode (the displays respond by showing the onscreen icon for the input being used) and then the displays are blank. Occasionally a mouse arrow will flash onto one of the screens and that is all.

The two displays are connected to the DVI and HDMI ports on the card and this configuration worked flawlessly with the previous computer, using the same card in that computer (Intel DB75EN) and with the same pair of displays.

Eventually after trying to work out if the HDD was faulty I took out the video card and run the displays on the onboard video and everything appears to be working just fine.

The power supply is Enermax Tomahawk TK405AST and was very reliable with the previous board. The video card is a budget one that wouldn't need a lot of power. It saves on using the shared graphics taking up the motherboard memory. The card is installed in the PCIe long slot nearest the CPU which is the x16 slot.

I don't know how I would test to find out what is happening with the video card e.g. does it have a Win8 driver problem because as long as it can't complete loading Windows I don't know of any way to test out what the problem is.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-H97-D3H will not start with GV-N210SL-1G1 installed, Win8
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 02:43:27 pm »
What driver are you running with the Nvidia driver or windows 8 driver?

There is a couple of things to look at.

BIOS Features
Windows 8 Features Allows you to select the operating system to be installed. (Default: Other OS)

BIOS Features
VGA Support
Allows you to select which type of operating system to boot.
Auto Enables legacy option ROM only.
EFI Driver Enables EFI option ROM. (Default)
This item is configurable only when Fast Boot is set to Enabled or Ultra Fast.

Initial Display Output
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI graphics card, PCI Express graphics card or the onboard graphics.
IGFX Sets the onboard graphics as the first display. - "Can you disable this when you have the video card in"
PCIe 1 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display. (Default)
PCIe 2 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX4 slot as the first display.
PCI Sets the graphics card on the PCI slot as the first display.

This board supports UEFI and the card you are using doesn't support that.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.