Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte z97x gaming 7 ssd shows as hdd

Dalork

Gigabyte z97x gaming 7 ssd shows as hdd
« on: August 05, 2014, 11:09:14 am »
Hi all, just did a new build and my ssd shows up as just a hdd. Tried doing a fresh install on win8.1 and it still just comes up as a normal hdd.

MB is Z97x gaming 7, cpu is i5 4690k and ssd is crucial m500 480gb any ideas please? I've looked through bios settings and am not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I used this ssd on a z77 board and win7 and it worked perfectly without issue.

Any idea or help please, the bios doesn't have a option for telling it the drive is a ssd like my last MB's bios. I'm at a total loss and very confused

update:
After more digging it seems windows maybe does see/know the drive is ssd as when you go into optimise drives it shows up there as a ssd, that's strange though as the Gigabyte bios software says no ssd found and reports the ssd as a hdd.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:03:08 pm by Dalork »

Re: Gigabyte z97x gaming 7 ssd shows as hdd
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 08:40:58 am »
Hi,

Some friends had the same issues as you with their Curcial SSD m500, try to update the SSD firmware.

Caution if you upgrade the firmware of your SSD, you may need to reinstall the operating system. BACKUP you DATA before doing anything.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd

And update your Motherboard BIOS to the following firmware "F6".

Best Regards,

Dalork

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 09:38:50 pm »
Sorry I should have said latest firmware is already running, first thing I did as I read the mb F6 version was to help with SSD issues. So just to clarify Crucial M500 SSD is running MU5 and Motherboard is running F6, both are the most up-to-date firmware for these devices.

As I said Windows 8.1 must be seeing the SSD as a SSD as it shows up that way under windows drive optimisation tool. But when you look at Bios or Gigabyte easy software it reports SSD as normal HDD (no SSD detected I think it states or something like that).

I'm not sure if it's something to worry about or not. The drive functions and windows is loaded, windows will optimise the drive as SSD or so it says so it should be trimming and doing all that SSD management stuff shouldn't it?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:57:13 pm by Dalork »

CCraMM

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 10:18:30 pm »
if windows sees the drive as a Solid State Drive in the "Optimize Drives" dialog of Control Panel you're ok.