Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H97-D3H: Poor system fan control

PJay

GA-H97-D3H: Poor system fan control
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:06:25 am »
I have noticed it doesn't increase the system fan speeds when the CPU is under load.
Also the max PWM setting, 2.50 PWM Value / °C is way too low.
Asus had much better hardware BIOS fan management...

Manxminx

Re: GA-H97-D3H: Poor system fan control
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:56:38 am »
Have you tried the software fan control using the System Information Viewer in the App Centre?

Personally I've always used Speedfan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php which is a fantastic bit of software. It's presently being updated so that it works on 97 series chipsets. I'm really looking forward to that.

Ali.

PJay

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:51:02 pm »
I don't want to use any software solution like ET6 or else since they're not reliable.
I had no problem with Asus motherboards. They had very cool BIOS interface too...

Manxminx

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 08:39:56 pm »
they're not reliable

I take it you're basing that opinion on actual first hand experience? Can you tell me what isn't reliable about ET6? What problems have you experienced in using it?

I have found software fan solutions to be totally reliable, both in temps and fan control.

Ali.

PJay

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 12:02:30 am »
Got System Information Viewer, will post the result...

Edit: As I said, even SIV doesn't increase the system fans speed while CPU is under load.
It just adjusts the system fans speed with the motherboard temperature  >:(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 12:52:26 am by P.J »

rui.sa

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 05:31:46 am »
Can you tell me what isn't reliable about ET6? What problems have you experienced in using it?

I've been using ET6 B12.1122.1 for over a year now and it always crashes every 4 or 5 days, you then have to reload it if you want it to keep controlling your fan speeds.

It has many other smaller bugs like 1) you can't turn off the fan failure alarm (it turns itself on again), 2) when you press the Save or Load buttons, you get prompted if you really want to Save/Load the config and if you say no, it still goes ahead and asks you the location of the file you want to Save/Load, as if you had replied Yes, 3) setting memory voltage is tricky: sometimes it works as expected, other times you have to reboot several times until the new voltage is assumed, etc.

Really buggy, it's a shame Gigabyte has such low standards for its software! And no updates for almost 2 years now, as if all was well...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:41:15 am by rui.sa »

PJay

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 07:45:44 pm »
Never use any software to control sensitive things like fan/voltage...
You'll get critical problem under load.

rui.sa

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:40:00 pm »
You are not correct here because, in my experience 1) memory voltage is set by ET6 once, when you start Windows, no further action is required by the software until you leave Windows, and 2) fan control continues to work after ET6 has crashed and only stops working after the PC returns from sleep if I haven't reloaded ET6 after it crashed.

So it looks that ET6 only passes some parameters (memory voltage and min PWM % and min and max temp for each fan), to the hardware and the hardware itself controls memory voltage and fan speed at all times, independently of any further software interaction (at least until you put the PC to sleep, in the case of fan control).

And there's no other way to control memory voltage and fan speed: if you set memory voltage in the BIOS and then open ET6 in Windows just to check your temps, it will set the memory voltage to the default value (1.5 V) if you haven't changed it, so you have to set the memory voltage you want in ET6 as well, unless you never open ET6. Regarding fan control, you can't set non standard min PWM % and min and max temps in the BIOS as it only allows basic fan control, if you want detailed control you really have to use ET6 (or Speedfan or whatever) to set those values.

PJay

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 11:30:58 am »
Ask the experts...

Seems no luck here, asked in esupport, waiting for a proper solution before I back to flawless Asus board.