Official GIGABYTE Forum

How to install XP -SSD and GA-Z97X-UD5H-5H

Alchad

How to install XP -SSD and GA-Z97X-UD5H-5H
« on: December 24, 2014, 09:03:32 pm »
Hi all,

First time poster and drawing my OAP, so please bear with me.

I'm in the process of a new PC build using a GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK and a Samsung SSD.  Problem is I only have an upgrade version of Win7, so I need to initially install XP, then upgrade to Win 7.

I've tried installing XP several times, but it freezes at the "setup" stage. From Googling around, and as another poster has already identified, the problem seems to be that I need to install - I think - a driver which will allow the XP system to be installed on the SSD. Again my understanding is that I need to do this at the "press F6 to install a..." stage. Two questions about this - firstly what is the driver I need to install, and how secondly physically how do do this - - will I be able to browse for it?

Alternatively  I think I can add the driver into a new copy of the XP start up disc, if this is the case, I'd appreciate a link to the software I'd need to use.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks -and Merry Xmas

Alchad

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: How to install XP -SSD and GA-Z97X-UD5H-5H
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 03:29:34 am »
What is happening is that you are trying to install it with the controller set in AHCI right. If you you set it to IDE. You might not need the pre-install driver it is look for. Because that driver is for AHCI & Raid.

Yes you would like to have it set to AHCI. But you can still have that after everything is installed. All you have to do is go into Regedit change a setting and then you can change in the bios with the reboot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Alchad

Re: How to install XP -SSD and GA-Z97X-UD5H-5H
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:41:45 am »
 Just wanted to say many thanks for the replies.

I used method 2 (registry hack) in the Supersites.com link and it worked a treat.

I have had a problem on startup (says no boot media) on occasions and not sure if it could be related to the registry hack, but will raise another question on the Forum to discuss.

Thanks again.

Alchad