Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990FXA-UD5 Dualboot bios restarts, Help!

GA-990FXA-UD5 Dualboot bios restarts, Help!
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:43:50 pm »
Hi,

I have a GA-990FXA-UD5 rev3 mb, and I just updated it to latest version in windows 7, everything went nice, until reboot, then it just waits a long time, a fast splash screen and it enters a bluescrean with uefi Dualboot Bios text in the top, and the it reboots. And this is where I am at now.

I have a usb keyboard, so it seems that that might be the problem when the spash screen appares, thats why I cant enter anything, since the bios dont work with usb?

Anyone help please, I dont know what to do?!

autotech

Re: GA-990FXA-UD5 Dualboot bios restarts, Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 01:43:36 am »
If you have a P/S2 keyboard (especially on some of the older motherboards) then try this instead of a USB keyboard as it can help.

You say you flashed it from within windows? If so you can try to get the dual bios to kick in by doing the following.

Method #1:
 1. Shut your PC down (if you're reading this guide, than your PC isn't working anyways)
 2. Hold the power button until the PC starts and shuts down again
 3. Press the power button again, your backup BIOS should kick in now and should re-flash the main BIOS if there's anything wrong with it.

Method #2:
 1. Shut your PC down
 2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, than release.
 3. Backup BIOS should kick in anytime soon now.

Method #3:
 Had to use this one in order to get my 990FXA-D3 working again. Backup BIOS kicked in using method #2, but I was back to the good ol' no signal state once the procedure finished..
 1. Short out pins 1 and 6 on the main BIOS chip (pin #1 should be marked with a red dot or whatever)
 2. Tell a friend (or a relative) of yours to press the power on button
 3. Remove the ghetto-like jumper you're holding between pins 1 and 6 as soon as you hear a beep.
 4. Backup BIOS should kick in again and everything will (hopefully) be fine.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:34:27 am »
If you have a P/S2 keyboard (especially on some of the older motherboards) then try this instead of a USB keyboard as it can help.

You say you flashed it from within windows? If so you can try to get the dual bios to kick in by doing the following.

Method #1:
 1. Shut your PC down (if you're reading this guide, than your PC isn't working anyways)
 3. Press the power button again, your backup BIOS should kick in now and should re-flash the main BIOS if there's anything wrong with it.

Method #2:
 1. Shut your PC down

Method #3:
 Had to use this one in order to get my 990FXA-D3 working again. Backup BIOS kicked in using method #2, but I was back to the good ol' no signal state once the procedure finished..
 1. Short out pins 1 and 6 on the main BIOS chip (pin #1 should be marked with a red dot or whatever)
 3. Remove the ghetto-like jumper you're holding between pins 1 and 6 as soon as you hear a beep.

K3_Cubed

• RAWWWRRRRR!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 12:07:35 am »
OMG! Autotech, wherever you are, I'mma kiss you.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Rev 3.0 according to the product label and the motherboard markings. I tried to flash the BIOS using the @BIOS program and upon reboot the computer goes into a cyclic reboot (i.e. it never goes to POST, it just powers up the fans and HDD temporarily and then reboots and does the same thing).

The only thing that worked for me was the Method #2,

For safety, I:
1) unplugged the power supply,
2) switched it off PSU switch
3) removed CMOS battery
4) shorted power pins manually for 20 seconds (I have a biometric power button, so manual was the only way)
5) shorted CMOS reset pins for 20 seconds
6) reinserted CMOS battery
7) plugged back in power supply and switched on PSU
8) Using a screw, I chucked it under the two reset switches to short it out, then I touched the two power pins on top with a piece of metal and held it there.
9) the computer booted and then shutdown
10) Then (I think cause I can't rememebr exactly) it either booted up automatically or I had to press the power button again. Whatever it was, when it booted up the second time, it gave me the message or flashing my corrupted BIOS.

This post really saved my @55. Thanks a bunch!!!!!

P.S.

I should mention that I also have a USB 3.0 keyboard (Corsair Gaming K70RGB), when the re-flashing of the BIOS is done, it asks to load defaults and boot, load defaults and reboot etc... and the keyboard and mouse weren't working. I just unplugged the keyboard from the USB 3.0. switched the keyboard to BIOS compatibility mode, then plugged in my two cables to the USB 2.0, and I was able to use the keyboard again.

Method #1:

Method #2:
 1. Shut your PC down

Method #3:
AMD FX 8370 BE
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 RAM
Gigabyte Radeon R9 380X
Sounblaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro Soundcard
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 Rev 3.0 Motherbaord
Windows 10 Pro x64

autotech

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 08:09:04 pm »
Glad it helped ;)
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA