Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X79-UD5: Poor performance with HDD, good with SDD. Any ideas?

I'm dealing with a weird problem regarding the performance of my mechanical hard drives in my main computer, a custom built PC running Windows 8.1 Pro de 64bit (Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 motherboard with the latest F13W BIOS, Intel Core-i7 Sandy Bridge-E processor @3.6GHz, 16GB RAM) with three mechanical hard drives and two ssd drives.

After running some Crystal Diskmark Benchs, the symptoms are clear: the mechanical drives are running at almost half the speed of the manufacturer specs, while the SSD are running nearly around them. These are the results:

The motherboard features two storage controllers, and as you can see in this AIDA64 capture, the five hard drives are connected to the same Intel C600 controller, part of the Intel X79 chipset. The second controller is a Marvell 91xx in which I've plugged two optical devices. There's also a virtual controller run by VirtualCloneDrive.

I've been checked the Intel RST driver version 12.8.0.1016 downloaded from the Gigabyte support website, and I've also tried version 12.9.4.1000 downloaded from this forum. I can't install the latest version 13.x drivers because the installer says the platform isn't supported.

I've also tried uninstalling Intel RST driver and letting the Microsoft driver take control, but the results are the same.

Yo can check the hard drives datasheets here

I'm quite sure that a Windows 8.1 fresh install will resolve the issue, but I'm really happy with my setup and I want to avoid reinstalling. Maybe you can help me identifying and resolving the problem.

Thanks in advance