Official GIGABYTE Forum

Black screen with Z77M-D3H + Inno3D GTX 770 iChill Herculez X3 4GB

So I went and bought myself an upgrade for my current GTX 570 and thought my digital life would be enriched.
In reality, I fell into an abyss.

My system boots 1 out of 10-20 times with my new graphics card.
The rest of the times I power on my PC the graphics card doesn't boot.
Getting a new 750W PSU from Corsair (CX750M) didn't help.
And I tried combinations of beta and stable BIOS'es and internal GPU values on/off or IGFX on/off, etc.
Nope. The mobo just gives me a big nope.

The details:

This happened to me after I upgraded my graphics card with the GTX 770:
- The fans on the GTX 770 start turning, then the PC boots with internal graphics.
- If I disable internal graphics the fans on the GTX 770 turn, the screen stays black, and I hear 1 long and 3 short beeps.
- Sometimes I see the fans turning on the graphics card and then stopping, then turning again and stopping - it does this turning and stopping 3 times in a row - then I get 1 long and 3 short beeps again. (I presume, graphics error)
- After a LOT of tries my graphics card just works.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2248.0.html says that 1 Long, 3 Short Beeps means Conventional/Extended memory failure. What?? I tested my RAM, too. (See below).

Before I purchased this graphics card I had a GTX 570 which worked fine on my system, so I thought it was the graphics card or the PSU causing this problem.

It's not the graphics card:
I grabbed my new graphics card and attached it to my brother's motherboard (some Z87 asus mobo) and it boots just fine.

It's not the PSU:
Then I thought the 630 Watt PSU from HKC wasn't delivering enough power and went and bought a new PSU: A Corsair CX750M. (On the web I see that it handles two GTX 770 graphics cards in SLI on a single PSU... I have a single graphics card.) I tried various combinations:
- 1 cable: 1 x PSU input to 2 x PCI-E 6+2-pin output
- 2 cables: 2 x PSU input to with each one PCI-E 6+2-pin output .. screen still stays black or on a random power-up the GPU boots.

Other things I've tried:
- I changed the RAM positions and tried them one by one. It didn't work.
- I ran memtest while both were in the mobo and also did this one by one and my RAM passed all tests
- I unplugged every HDD, DVD-Writer, Case fans, etc.
- I set BIOS values to default. Didn't help.
- I tried flashing the BIOS to F15a (I was and currently am at F13 again). It didn't help.
- I tried resetting the CMOS. By pressing and holding power button until it goes off again and then power on again. It reflashed the older F13 BIOS automatically from the back-up BIOS (DualBIOS).
- I tried setting the frequency of the PCI-E lane to 100.12 MHz as it was suggested on forums (it helped some people with the Z77x-D3H, Z77-D3H, etc.)
- I've tried the above with combinations of HDMI and VGA cable plugged in and one of the two plugged out.
- I also have not overclocked anything except the PCI-E lane to 100.12 after everything else failed.

Nothing works. Every thing I did made absolutely no change on how the problem occurs.

Additionally:
When I enter the BIOS and set the primary graphics to PEG and set the internal graphics to Enabled or Auto, the PEG value reverts back to Auto after saving and restarting???
When I disable the internal graphics, I get the problem that most of the time it doesn't boot. (with the fans turning and the beeps, etc.)
Also, the case lights on the case fans get brighter at boot and then get at normal brightness and then I get the beeps: (1 long and 3 short).
What I do know is that my older memory (1333mHz bad quality Team-Elite RAMs) needed 1.64v to boot while 1.5v was its default voltage value. It wouldn't boot until I manually upped the voltage to 1.64v.

What do I do?

I was a fan of the older boards like the EP31-DS3L I had and it was VERY stable until I downgraded from the beta bios. It bricked my motherboard and I upgraded to this one, but I'm really not happy about this motherboard:

- I bought a Kingston HyperX Beast 4GB x 2 because my (bad quality, but still) RAM wasn't compatible until I upped the voltage (had zero problems on a former mobo), the issue is now solved.
- Then I get the graphics boot values not staying consistent in the BIOS. (Maybe it's an auto correcting feature when the PEG boot returns an error. I don't know.)
- Also some USB 2.0 devices don't get recognized in my USB 3.0 slots. (My keyboard doesn't work at all on the 3.0 slot. Why would I need this? I don't know :))
- And my graphics card doesn't work 90/95% of the time.

I saw other people suffering when I fell into the abyss:
Other people are having the same problem on various Gigabyte Z77 mobo's including the Z77M-D3H like mine.
Some people get it working after setting the BIOS values to default or upgrading the BIOS. Mine doesn't solve that.

:'(

I can ignore some minor issues... If only my graphics card would work, I'd be satisfied.

I want to buy Lucid Virtu MVP when it is available as a stand-alone product, so I would like it if booting from "IGFX" was working, too.

Is there anything I can do?

autotech

Re: Black screen with Z77M-D3H + Inno3D GTX 770 iChill Herculez X3 4GB
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 12:08:51 pm »
F15a is the newest bios out for that board are you up to it and if so email support and see if they have a bios to make that card work. Also make sure board and card match as UEFI.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

Re: Black screen with Z77M-D3H + Inno3D GTX 770 iChill Herculez X3 4GB
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 09:16:11 am »
F15a is the newest bios out for that board are you up to it and if so email support and see if they have a bios to make that card work. Also make sure board and card match as UEFI.

Thank you for your reply!

I flashed the F15a BIOS. It didn't help my graphics card.

Also, I don't need UEFI support on my card as far as I can tell, because I don't use the secure boot mode on my pc.
(But I guess my card has. I tried using secure boot and it worked.)

Only thing left was e-mailing support and I have.

Again, thanks for the help!