Official GIGABYTE Forum

Compatibility of LSI 9240 MegaRAID card with the GA-X79-UD5 motherboard

I have installed one of these cards, with 6 WD 1TB RE4 enterprise drives attached.  I have run the WebBIOS and created a 6 drive virtual drive in RAID5, but I cannot install the drivers for the card.  I get an error message "This device cannot start (Code 10)".

I am using the latest driver with Windows 7 64 bit.  The card firmware is the next to latest - I cannot understand the LSI instructions on updating the firmware.

The LSI web site is not helpful and I am doubtful that my repeated attempts to submit a support request have been successful.

The card is installed on a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 motherboard in the bottom 16X PCIe slot - my GTX680 graphics card obscures the 8x slot.  There is a warning in the LSI Quick Install guide that some 16x slots are for graphics cards only, and the device will not work in them.  I cannot find anything in my motherboard manual to suggest that this is the case, though the two 16x PCIe slots are suitable for the NVidiaSLi configuration. I have tried putting the graphics card in the other 16x slot to give access to the 8x slot, but I got the same error message.

I have come to the conclusion that the LSI card is not compatible with my GA-X79-UD5 motherboard.  I have now tried the card in each of the available 8X PCIe slots, both with my present Windows installation and with a fresh bare install of Windows, and I always get the same error message.

I can find no mention of this problem anywhere on the internet, and LSI have not responded to several requests for support.  With other hardware combinations, using a later BIOS has proved to be a solution, but I am using the latest official Gigabyte BIOS (and this is a beta!).  There are other later beta BIOS available on the Tweaktown site, but I am reluctant to go down that road.

Has anyone here any experience with LSI megaRAID cards that may help me please?