Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55A-UD4 High pitch noise

P55A-UD4 High pitch noise
« on: March 29, 2010, 01:34:43 am »
Hi everybody.
I've a high pitch noise when I move my mouse. The noise come from inside the PSU.
When I disabled "C3/C6/C7 State Support" in BIOS the noise disappears.
If I enabled it the noise appears again. The only problem is if I want to set the Intel Turbo Boost working I need to enable  "C3/C6/C7 State Support".
Is there any workaround? Am I damaging anything with C3 enabled?
Thanks.

Specs:  Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 ,Intel5 750 @ 2,79 Ghz , 4 GB DDR3 Gskilll 1600MHZ RIPJAW RM (CL7)  , Asus 4890, PSU LC-POWER Hyperion 770. Mouse Logitech G5

dkslim

Re: P55A-UD4 High pitch noise
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 03:45:56 am »
It's very common for Gigabyte motherboards to cause this.
It's caused by an error in the motherboard's voltage regulation. There are quick fixes to avoid the problem (like turning off C1E) but that doesn't solve the underlying problem. I think you should contact Gigabyte and get them to fix it completely.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:28:15 pm »
Thanks for your reply.
But do you know besides the noise inconvenience, am I damaging the hardware?
I ask this because I almost don't hear it.

EDIT: I've also followed your advice and contacted them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:43:02 pm by Von Paulus »

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 11:58:59 am »
Here's the reply from Gigabyte:
Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. Because we can not identify the sound you mentioned in our side, so we suggest you to contact your supplier or nearest distributor and see if they help you to test your system directly to see if there's a hardware or circuit problem. For distributor contact information, please click HERE.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience you have with our product.

At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us directly. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY
Nice answer. Asus have always been my motherboard's brand. The first time I take a chance and decide to change... oh well.
I've seen a lot of similar reports and complains in the internet, about this whining sound, when C1E or C-States are enabled in some Gigabyte motherboards. So the situation it's not new to them. I hate this corporate kind of answer.

I don't think they are able to solve the problem.
Does anybody knows if having the C-states enabled, and besides the whining noise incovenience, I'll damage anything in the my computer?
Thanks.

dkslim

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:46:50 pm »
I was afraid Gigabyte would reply like that. I'm sure Gigabyte is aware about this buzzing noise problem, so many people on the net have reported the problem occuring. I guess they might be afraid to acknowledge the problem, because they might then get a flood of people demanding them for replacements or their money back?

You could try to change your power supply to a less sensitive one, which won't buzz as much due to the faulty motherboard.

I don't think the noise causes any damage, it's due to vibrations, it is only annoying to the ears.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 02:25:33 pm »
I don't think the noise causes any damage, it's due to vibrations, it is only annoying to the ears.
Thanks for your reply. I think it's coil vibration, probably it's just unpleasant.
I run a little computer shop, so I've access to other PSU's like Corsair; only I've read other people complaining with Corsair and other brands, that I don't think it's worth the bother because it's really a very faint sound. But to add this problem, the poor implementation of USB3/SATA3 in Gigabyte's boards, it makes me wonder, if I'll advise my clients in future, to get Gigabyte's hardware. There isn't a perfect world, and Asus and other brands have given me problems in the past also. So that's not a new situation for me.
On the same day I had problem with a BeQuiet PSU, and the customer support I had with BeQuiet was completely different. Night and day. And that was probably why I got mad with Gigabyte's reply.

dkslim

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 05:19:39 am »
I think the newer Corsair units have better quality control, I've heard of many people on the net who said that their old Corsairs made the buzzing noise, but after they sent it for warranty replacement, the replacement made no noise at all. There's no guarantee that the one you open will have no buzzing noise, though!

Regarding motherboards, the Gigabytes would be perfect if it weren't for the noise problem - it has better quality components than all other comparable motherboards, more features, and lower DPC latency. I've read of a few rare cases where the Asus motherboards make same noises (nowhere as common as Gigabytes though), and almost no reports of EVGA motherboards making the noises.

Peteruk

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 06:10:19 pm »
I don't have the P55A-UD4 but have the P55-UD4 and have no high pitch noise from the PSU when C3/C6/C7 State Support is enabled using a Thermaltake Toughpower 650W.

Maybe the problem is the fast change in voltage where the CPU voltage is following Intel specifications so would enabling Load-Line Calibration fix this?