Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z97X-gaming5 startup power cycles

GA-Z97X-gaming5 startup power cycles
« on: October 30, 2015, 02:17:23 am »
I just received this new motherboard to build a modest system for my daughter.'

I built the computer and have only the power supply, speaker, power switch and 1 stick of memory connected/installed.

CPU is Intel i3-4130 Haswell.

When the power switch is pressed the fans turn for a few seconds and stops. A few seconds later it turns back on again and the cycle repeats endlessly.

I tried another brand new powersupply (Enermax Premium 850w)

I took the memory out - not even a monitor connected. Endless loop of rebooting - never gets to a bios or boot screen.

Any Ideas?????
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:19:01 am by Blekthor »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z97X-gaming5 startup power cycles
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 11:40:38 am »
Check to make sure you don't have bent pin on the CPU socket. Or take it back out put on the box it came in and try it. Make sure you don't have a extra stand off under the board.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 08:56:53 pm »
Check to make sure you don't have bent pin on the CPU socket. Or take it back out put on the box it came in and try it. Make sure you don't have a extra stand off under the board.

Thanks, I already had a look at the CPU - all clean, and the socket with an eye loupe - just like new.

I think this may be a new motherboard with a bios that doesn't support the haswell cpu. I've seen this issue online with a number of people with these new motherboards.

The suggested fix is to get an older non-haswell cpu, update the bios and then put the new cpu back in. NOT acceptable. Who has a spare CPU setting around just to do things like this?

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 10:24:39 pm »
I am getting the same power cycle loop issue with a GA-Z97MX Gaming 5 and i5 4670k...except that it had been working fine for months till I restarted the computer this morning for a windows 10 update.  Now its 3-5 seconds of powering up, then off, power, off in a continuous loop.  I have removed all connections (usb, ethernet, audio), cleared CMOS, used one stick of ram in slot 1, removed my graphics card, tried the on/off psu switch trick, and the issue still persists.  I run my business on that machine so Im freaking out a little.

bardm

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 10:57:22 pm »
Sounds like a couple issue.  I'm assuming no beeps even though it is powered on for a few seconds?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 12:11:56 am »
I think this may be a new motherboard with a bios that doesn't support the haswell cpu. I've seen this issue online with a number of people with these new motherboards.

That board will support the i3-4130 on the F3 1st release bios.

I run my business on that machine so I'm freaking out a little.

You are running your Business with windows 10 you are braver then me. Windows 8, 8.1, & 10 write a boot sector in the bios. Maybe the update corrupted the bios. on the on/off psu switch trick there are different ways on doing it. I have heard people using the reset button too.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/697533-GUIDE-Forcing-backup-BIOS-on-Gigabyte-motherboards
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 02:21:57 am »
Just tried the alternate power switch methods you posted to no avail.  Interesting development...I let it continue to loop for around 40min and it finally popped up a screen to load bios defaults.  I saved, it restarted, and then continued looping.  At this point I'm afraid the motherboard is toast.  I put in a support ticket, hope the RMA process is painless.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 03:02:49 am »
UPDATE: 20min it boots to desktop...

Downloaded BIOS F6 (currently F5) since I figure it cant hurt at this point to try flashing, sitting at my desk ready to jump into the flash utility if it decides to boot up again randomly *crosses fingers*

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:20:04 am »
UPDATE: about 15min later of boot cycles I finally got into BIOS, flashed successfully to F6, restart and same issue persists...now its been almost 3hrs and it won't post at all, just continuous power cycle. :(

PJay

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 10:27:50 am »
I am getting the same power cycle loop issue with a GA-Z97MX Gaming 5 and i5 4670k...except that it had been working fine for months till I restarted the computer this morning for a windows 10 update.  Now its 3-5 seconds of powering up, then off, power, off in a continuous loop.  I have removed all connections (usb, ethernet, audio), cleared CMOS, used one stick of ram in slot 1, removed my graphics card, tried the on/off psu switch trick, and the issue still persists.  I run my business on that machine so Im freaking out a little.

Got similar issue with my H97-D3H but I didn't install any update.
After multiple on/off, I could see the BIOS and it's working fine for now.
Any idea? So scared  :o