Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68x-UD3H-B3, Marvell 2 HD raid0 one disk stated assigned the other as free!

JoiCam

Hi there
My name is Johannes.
I have this mother board:Gigabyte GA-Z68x-UD3H-B3 and  the Marvell controller raid is offline after Windows blue screen.

I took a better look in to the Marvel bios and I saw there one of the two drives which are in raid0 is in the state FREE but the other one is stated assigned.
Is it possible to rebuild the raid0 with out losing data? and if so how?. if not is it possible to safe the data from those drives?
Both drives are working fine but there is a possibility there someone somehow ejected the drive for a mistake and caused the blue screen.

Please help me out, This very urgent for there I am working on two documentary films and also some news editing projects and I have a lot of newly filmed and expensive material for those projects on this raid drive and I can not deliver anything to my customers!

This happened just before I made backups and the original media is gone. I by all means may not lose the data.
I hope there someone in here can help me fix this.

Hoping for the best.
Best regards
Johannes

autotech

In all the years I have used Raid0 I did it for performance, If I had important items on my computer I would set it up as raid 0/1.  I have never ran across a method for saving the data on Raid0 drives. Been using Raid0 for at least 10 years and even if you do a back up in windows it wont work..  That is why they tell you when you make a Raid0 that all data will be lost when it crashes. Treat this as a lesson learned and use Raid1 from now on or a Raid0/Raid1 configuration.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

JoiCam

Thank you for the replay.

You are absolutely right, Raid0 is not a safe way to keep your data safe.
I also use raid0 only for editing and I have real time backup of projects EDLs to an other location, but not for other data.

The usual way here is copying all the recorded material on a server which put the material on two places, then when there is a time to edit you will take copy to the edit station on raid0 drive for editing.

This time i were in a hurry to copy the material from those cards, those cards were needed asap for more filming and I did not have the time to startup the server, only this time, and then this had to happen.

There is nothing wrong with ether of those two drives, one of those drives is in the state assigned but the other one is stated FREE.
What happened is the free stated drive were ejected in windows do to a mistake.

So the question is: is it possible to assign the free stated drive back in to the original raid0 with out loosing any data?

Best regards
   Johannes

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
You could try this software http://www.restorer-ultimate.com/
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

JoiCam

Thank you.
Ill think of this if it is not possible to re assign the drive back in to the raid0 with out loosing data.

JoiCam

By the way.
I have been trying to get some help on this problem at Gigabyte support sins 30. October but had no response, Is this normal at Gigabyte´s support?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
shadowsports might be able to help PM him and see if can help  http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=132428
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

JoiCam

Thank you for the tip dmdilks. :)
I did Pm him and now I hope for the best.
  Johannes