Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H55M-UD2H booting with no RAM?

Kermit

GA-H55M-UD2H booting with no RAM?
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:39:59 pm »
Getting set of rapid POST beeps from a new build i3 + GA-H55M-UD2H + 4GB no name RAM. Googling this  beep code indicates it is a PSU problem, and all 4 phase LEDs are lit, which seems to corraborate this. However, a different PSU results in the same prob.
Removing the RAM gives the same code, so a few questions:

Can this mobo (or any board) POST correctly with no RAM fitted (at least as far as getting to the RAM error POST code!) - if it cant, then I prob have duff RAM and the beep code is irrelevant.

How many of the phase LEDs are usually lit when the board is POSTing with an i3?

Finally, anyone know of a definitive POST beep list for this BIOS/this board? The web is full of partial/incorrect ones.

Kermit

Re: GA-H55M-UD2H booting with no RAM?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:12:29 pm »
Finally RMA-ed the board, CPU and RAMs
For info, board will not post if there is no RAM or the RAM is duff (my case)
In this case, the initial beep code is irrelevant (and very misleading!)
The phase LEDs on the board are all on during POST and stay on if you go into the BIOS

Got new RAMs, and all is OK

You would think in these enlignted times the BIOS woudl be able to run with just the CPU in place

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 05:17:07 am »
Unless someone comes out with a board that has onboard memory, booting without memory is impossible.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 01:38:35 am »
Hey are you sure the RAM was faulty?

I just built an i7 system with the exact some problem and it was the RAM as well but it was not faulty. I simply putting the stucks in the BLUE  slot 2 and slot 4 instead of the white slots slot 1 and slot 3.

It seems if you do no use slot 1 and slot3 (or slot 1 with only 1 stick) then you get that machine gun sounding beep error. Odd since every socket 775 gigabyte board we've built a system on it hasn't mattered which slot you used.