Official GIGABYTE Forum

z170xp-SLI - boots -> shutsdown -> boots into post loop

z170xp-SLI - boots -> shutsdown -> boots into post loop
« on: December 24, 2015, 11:55:18 am »
Hi everyone,

First of all this is my first post so sorry if it doesn't adhere to the guidelines (yes I did read them).

Second,

I build a new computer based on the z170xp-SLI motherboard combined with an intel core i7-6700, gigabyte gtx980 windforce. The powersupply is a corsair rm850x.

The problem I have is as follows,
When I press the on button in my case, the computer powers on and goes into bios.
When I shutdown I hear a strange click just before the power goes off.
As soon as I press the on button again, the pc gets into a post loop of turning on for 10 seconds or so, then powering off (with the same click I hear when shutting down). This happens until I turn off the PSU.
When I turn the PSU and pc back on the computer boots once, and repeats the afore mentioned loop.
(no I do not get display output on the post loop.)

I have found a partial workaround for this issue.
When the system does boot go into the UEFI Bios, and change the dummy load setting from auto to disabled. As long as the system keeps power, it will now be able to shutdown, and boot as often as I want. The weird thing is that as soon as I turn the PSU off and on, the system proceeds to the afore mentioned problem.
When I get into the Bios again I see that the dummy load option is still on disabled, but I have to select auto, and then select disable in order to get the PC working properly again.

I have not yet replaced the CMOS battery as the settings were remembered but I will try replacing the CMOS battery today.

I have attached a poor man's flow chart that describes the problem case for more clarity.
Hopefully someone will be able to help me out if it isn't the CMOS battery.
I also hope that this post might help others that have this or an alike issue.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: z170xp-SLI - boots -> shutsdown -> boots into post loop
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 01:20:56 pm »
What memory are you running? Is it at default settings? I had a problem with my Z170x gaming 3. If I set it to the XMP it would boot fine as long as I didn't shut it down and turn off the power by the PSU. The memory is 2400.

I tried to up date the bios and now that made it even worse. But the problem was still there. I since went back from F5a to F4. I left the memory set at the default settings at 2133. But still had a problem.

The computer would boot for about 2 sec and shut down and reboot. It then would boot into windows. How I fix this was I had another computer running 2133 memory. I took that memory and put it in.

Now the computer boot just fine no more double boot. I'm not saying this is the problem but it could be the memory. These Z170x board have had a lot of problems. Any time you turn off the power going to a computer it will always reset itself.

Not to the point to completely reset the bios. But to the point that if you having a problem like yours or mine it will come back.

I would be looking at maybe some thing under the board like a stand off that is in the wrong place. Not saying that is it but some thing to check.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Re: z170xp-SLI - boots -> shutsdown -> boots into post loop
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 10:50:14 pm »
What memory are you running? Is it at default settings? I had a problem with my Z170x gaming 3. If I set it to the XMP it would boot fine as long as I didn't shut it down and turn off the power by the PSU. The memory is 2400.

I tried to up date the bios and now that made it even worse. But the problem was still there. I since went back from F5a to F4. I left the memory set at the default settings at 2133. But still had a problem.

I am running Hyper-X 2133 memory, 2 sticks of 8 gigs. I haven't touched overclocking on anything yet because I first want to resolve all current issues.

The computer would boot for about 2 sec and shut down and reboot. It then would boot into windows. How I fix this was I had another computer running 2133 memory. I took that memory and put it in.

Now the computer boot just fine no more double boot. I'm not saying this is the problem but it could be the memory. These Z170x board have had a lot of problems. Any time you turn off the power going to a computer it will always reset itself.

Not to the point to completely reset the bios. But to the point that if you having a problem like yours or mine it will come back.
I have tried the pc with different memory sticks, and the problem unfortunately exists with all of them. It was quite a hassle to check though, hehe, so many steps.

I would be looking at maybe some thing under the board like a stand off that is in the wrong place. Not saying that is it but some thing to check.

I think this has to do with the reboot issue though, because If I hear the issue then the next time the pc doesn't boot, whereas if this issue doesn't occur I can normally boot, I'll check the pc just to be sure however I think that if this is a misplaced stand-off or whatever, I'd expect to hear this every time.