Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z170X Gaming 7 and Samsung 950 SSD 950 Pro NVMe UEFI issues

Elsie

Z170X Gaming 7 and Samsung 950 SSD 950 Pro NVMe UEFI issues
« on: March 04, 2016, 07:49:28 pm »
Hi all,

I've built a system using a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 board, an i5 6600K CPU, 16gb RAM and a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drive straight onto the board. I had installed W8.1 on this without issue and then upgraded to W10. I thought that my boot times were a tad slow but didn't realise how slow until I saw other machines with standard SSD's booting up. Mine is terribly slow! I've seen a video that describes exactly the same issues as myself.

I have been searching around and believe it's because I installed Windows using "Legacy", not "UEFI" mode in the BIOS. OK, so this was my mistake, I'll bite the bullet, wipe the M.2 and install a fresh copy of Windows 10 in UEFI mode.

Except I can't.

I've changed the BIOS to use UEFI (not Legacy) and AHCI but when I boot from the UEFI USB stick I created with Rufus, I see all the Windows stuff. However, when I click on the M.2 drive I get:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu"

I ONLY get to see the M.2 drive in the BIOS as a boot option if Storage Boot Option Control is set to be [Legacy Only]. If I set the SBOC to be [UEFI Only] the PC will not boot as it doesn't detect the drive.

I'm a bit stuck as to what to try now? It appears I can only install a OS to the M2 if I use Legacy mode as the current BIOS setup doesn't want to see the drive in UEFI mode.

The BIOS version is F5 (10/19/2015) and I have seen there is a F6 BIOS on the Gigabyte DL Site that states "Improve M.2 device compatibility". There is also a F7 BIOS but this is marked BETA.

Does anyone think that updating the BIOS might resolve the issue and allow me to use UEFI mode, or has any other suggestions on resolving the issue?

The PC works fine (after the long boot up) but after spending so much on building the damn thing its annoying it's not as quick as it could/should be.

Thanks for reading.

Elsie.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Elsie

Re: Z170X Gaming 7 and Samsung 950 SSD 950 Pro NVMe UEFI issues
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 10:17:16 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

The problem is I can't install a driver as I can't install Windows; I think it's the fact that the BIOS only appears to allow the M.2 drive in Legacy mode to be able to boot it, not UEFI.

Elsie

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 10:48:37 pm »
Fixed It!

I updated the BIOS (something I absolutely hate doing!) to the F6 version, left Storage Boot Option Control as [Legacy Only] and it's booting in REALLY fast?!

No need to install Windows again ... just needed that F6 BIOS!

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 09:56:04 am »
Fixed It!

I updated the BIOS (something I absolutely hate doing!) to the F6 version, left Storage Boot Option Control as [Legacy Only] and it's booting in REALLY fast?!

No need to install Windows again ... just needed that F6 BIOS!

Hi, first of all sorry for my english.

I have a new z170x g7 with de same 950 pro nvme

Bios Boot time seems very slow...

I have updated from F5 to last beta bios but it is the slow speed

any idea?

Thanks