Official GIGABYTE Forum

UD4 x99 sound settings

Thug

UD4 x99 sound settings
« on: March 27, 2016, 06:19:15 pm »
I am using (stereo) headphones plugged straight into the green connector of the Motherboard.
I have just bought a buttkicker (bass unit) that I have plugged into the orange centre/bass connector.

If I have Windows speaker setup as stereo then I get great 3d sound in games like Rainbow 6 Siege etc, but nothing from the bass.
If I set Windows speaker setup as 5.1/7.1 then I get 3d sound in the test screen but the centre speaker wont work, meaning in game I am missing out on sounds like ambient sounds in R6 and pace note in Dirt Rally, but I get great bass from the buttkicker.

Its the same in the Gigabyte Realtek HD software too.

In Windows and Gigabyte software I have the options of Stereo, Quadraphonic, 5.1 or 7.1

When I set it to 5.1 or 7.1 I have all the sounds coming through my headphones from the front, side and rear speakers tests, but nothing from the front. I do have the bass work as it should.

My question is how do I get this front speaker to come through my headphones so I don't miss out on sounds?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: UD4 x99 sound settings
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 06:36:44 pm »
I could be wrong but you really need a headset that supports surround sound for it to work.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Thug

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:00:34 pm »
Stereo headsets are fine for surround (in fact they are better), I have used them for many years.
I just want to set my sound to be 2.1 I guess and utilise the L/R and the Bass outputs.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 01:44:02 am »
Hello,

If you want to get both channels LEFT/RIGHT to pass the low frequency range to your bass unit you must provide the same stereo output to it.

Unplug everything
Connect your bass unit to the Green jack at the back of the motherboard.

Go to the audio control panel Realtek.
Make sure it is set to Stereo.
Tick: Disable front panel jack detection.
Tick: Mute the internal output device, when an external headphone is plugged in.
Tick: Tie up same type of input jacks.

Plug the headphones into the front panel connector on your case.
And now it should work, I assume your bass unit has an active crossover (LFE range adjustment?).
My PC is evolving

Thug

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 02:03:20 pm »
Thanks so far guys.
I would rather have everything neatly plugged into the back if possible.

Actually, just thought of another way if it will work.
How about if I split the centre/bass then feed the bass to the kicker amp and the centre to the headphones connected with an Y piece to the green socket. I should then get surround and centre when set to 5.1/7.1 and the bass directly to the amp.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 07:31:19 pm »
The only reasonable way to use a splitter would be to keep it 2 channel, run a splitter into the Green jack socket.

1 feed to headphones
1 feed to Bass unit.

That is essentially a 2.1 setup, if you try to run an output into another output you will cause problems and lose sound quality.
My PC is evolving