Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z170X-UD3 no longer recognises my RAM

Z170X-UD3 no longer recognises my RAM
« on: March 20, 2016, 12:49:45 pm »
Hi all, new here so it's good to be part of the Gigabyte community :)

I just finished my build yesterday but noticed a problem with my RAM, namely that I had 16GB but my PC only recognised 8GB. I'm using a Gigabyte Z170x-UD3 motherboard and 16GB of 2133 Mhz HyperX Fury memory.

Anyway, it only recognised 8GB. I'd placed the RAM sticks in the colour-coordinated slots (there are two black slots and two grey slots, I placed them in the black slots). Checked my mobo manual again and it said that actually, memory channel A is the two slots closest to the CPU cooler. No idea why they colour coded them differently.

So I moved one RAM stick into the position the manual said it should be in, and got a 55 POST error. Tried rearranging the sticks into every combination of slots, and still got the same error. I also got the error with just one stick of RAM installed. Worryingly, after trying this, I can no longer get the PC to boot even with the RAM in the original slots (the ones where I could get it to boot originally).

What's going on here? Is this a RAM problem or a motherboard problem? My RAM is compatible (according to: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5499#sp) and it worked at first, although only one stick was recognised. Now none are recognised.

I saw that it might be something to do with the BIOS needing to be updated. Could this be a possibility? I'm not sure how to do this, so any help would be very welcome.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Z170X-UD3 no longer recognises my RAM
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:21:37 pm »
Greetings,
I don't see your memory on the QVL for this board.  8GB sticks. 

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z170x-ud3.pdf

In this case, getting what you have to work may require manual configuration.  Additionally it may not work at all.  Being able to boot with one or more sticks inserted previously (any number of times) does not constitute "working" if the DIMMs are not on the QVL.  You can try a CLR_CMOS or battery pull, then manual configuration.  You can also try updating the BIOS if, a newer version specifically enhances memory compatibility.  In the end however, buying RAM on the QVL is the best option. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:22:29 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 11:30:28 pm »
Hello,

Check the manual again as you actually did have the sticks in the right slots.
You must use either the Grey slots or the black slots.

It goes something like this,
Channel A = DDR4_2 + DDR4_4
Channel B = DDR4_1 + DDR4_3

However, look at how it is ordered in the manual, its not 4,3,2,1.

DDR4_4.....DDR4_2.....DDR4_3.....DDR4_1

It is 4,2,3,1
Make sense?
Essentially you need to use same colour slots.

As to your problem, you need to determine if both memory modules work individually and if both memory channels work independently.

Make a note of your memory sticks / keep track of which one is being used (I'll refer to them and stick A and Stick B)

Place only Stick A in Grey DIMM slot closest to the CPU.
1) Does the PC boot?

Place only Stick A in Grey DIMM slot nearest right side of the board.
2) Does the PC boot?

Place only Stick B in Grey DIMM slot closest to the CPU.
3) Does the PC boot?

Place only Stick B in Grey DIMM slot nearest right side of the board.
4) Does the PC boot?

This will help determine if channel A or Channel B is dead and if Stick A or B is Dead.
BTW, what is the part number for your Kingston kit?

Before you do this clear the CMOS and remove everything that is not required to boot the PC.
E.g GFX card and use the integrated GPU.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:32:53 pm by ElectroStingz »
My PC is evolving

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 08:38:30 pm »
Greetings,
I don't see your memory on the QVL for this board.  8GB sticks. 

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z170x-ud3.pdf

In this case, getting what you have to work may require manual configuration.  Additionally it may not work at all.  Being able to boot with one or more sticks inserted previously (any number of times) does not constitute "working" if the DIMMs are not on the QVL.  You can try a CLR_CMOS or battery pull, then manual configuration.  You can also try updating the BIOS if, a newer version specifically enhances memory compatibility.  In the end however, buying RAM on the QVL is the best option.
Thanks for your reply and sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you! Anyway, I bought some RAM off the QVL list and same problem, it still got error 55. So it seems that RAM is perhaps not the issue. Also I tried taking out the CMOS battery and reinserting it after a few mins, but still no luck.

I have been told that flashing the BIOS is tricky if not impossible on a Gigabyte board if you can't get past POST. Now I don't know if that's right or not, it's just what I've been told, but could that be a problem?

Also if the RAM is not the problem, is it more likely to be the motherboard or the CPU?

Thanks again.

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 10:40:41 pm »
The "55" code is a memory not installed" error.  Can result from a BIOS problem or if the memory controller in the CPU can't properly detect or read the RAM.  Broken or bent PINs in a DIMM slot or if you somehow didn't get the memory fully seated in the slot...  surely not all of them  ::)  LoL.

ElectroStingz makes a good point in regards to DIMM placement (pairs) and grey slots or blacks in pairs for correct dual channel operation.  His recommendation in regards to testing channel A and B is also good.

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 12:54:40 am »
Also if the RAM is not the problem, is it more likely to be the motherboard or the CPU?
Maybe both?

if the memory controller in the CPU can't properly detect or read the RAM.  Broken or bent PINs
Expanding on this mis-aligned pins in the actual CPU socket?

You should at this point consider taking it all apart / out the case and physically inspect the CPU socket pin alignment.
All the pins need to be 100% straight, if so then you need to determine is the CPU is still working.
Take a photo and upload if you are not sure.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 12:55:36 am by ElectroStingz »
My PC is evolving

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 05:49:44 pm »
Maybe both?

if the memory controller in the CPU can't properly detect or read the RAM.  Broken or bent PINs
Expanding on this mis-aligned pins in the actual CPU socket?

You should at this point consider taking it all apart / out the case and physically inspect the CPU socket pin alignment.
All the pins need to be 100% straight, if so then you need to determine is the CPU is still working.
Take a photo and upload if you are not sure.

Thanks for the tips. I took everything apart and took a few pictures of the CPU socket and the CPU itself (attached). Does everything look OK? Going to try putting it all together again to see if I get any different results.

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 07:10:15 pm »
Socket looks fine.   

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 07:53:55 pm »
Your CPU pads, maybe it is some kind of reflection but 7 pads look a bit dull compared to the rest, perhaps finger prints?
If so, you need to carefully clean as any tiny layer of oil/grease can effect the contact resistance.

Cleaning is advisable in a static free condition, IPA (alcohol) on a cotton swab

If nothing and I am seeing things please ignore :)
My PC is evolving