Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170X-UD3 Bad bios flash(?)

GA-Z170X-UD3 Bad bios flash(?)
« on: April 08, 2016, 05:00:29 am »
Hello forumers, so

I've got a 6700K on a Z170X-UD3, 16GB of DDR4-2400, it's flashed to F6 BUT got there via F4 and at least one beta of F5 (and I have flashed over F6 with F6 again from the QFlash utility accessed via the working firmware... did it "normal" rather than quick, albeit I'm not sure what the difference is.)

And... When I first hit the (case) power switch, the fans spin up but nothing else, not even the LCD on the board lights up.

If I switch off, hold the power switch so it powers up and then powers down again, and then press the power button once, it fires up without issue, red LED readout and everything.

Which to my understanding from googlefu is forcing a startup from the backup bios? I don't know how to get that overwritten over the primary, or just... sort this issue, because it's absolutely infuriating. anyone seen this and know the obvious thing that'll fix it right up? I'm probably missing something horribly obvious.. so any pointers would be gladly received.

Help plz.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z170X-UD3 Bad bios flash(?)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:50:08 am »
Have you tried to pull the battery and let it sit for about 5 mins?
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 04:22:46 pm »
Have you tried to pull the battery and let it sit for about 5 mins?

I have tried pulling the CMOS battery, but I haven't left it for nearly that long.. I shall give that a stab in a little while. thanks :)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 04:55:01 pm »
Hi there,

Not so sure about the latest motherboards but it used to be the case that having different BIOS versions in the two BIOS chips could cause this kind of issue.

Check the FAQ here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=10304.0 about how to synchronise the Back-Up BIOS with the Main BIOS.

Before doing anything though, when you do get your system to BOOT, go into the BIOS to see which BIOS version it is actually using. If it is the Main BIOS then you are good to go with the above guidance. If, however, it is BOOTING from the Back-Up BIOS chip, it would probably be simpler to reflash the Main BIOS, using QFlash, with the same version as the back-up chip is using.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Tiger

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 06:31:14 pm »
Regarding synchronizing the Back-Up BIOS:

A change was made on my Z97 motherboard to that. I searched your Z170 motherboard manual and this is not mentioned.

5-1 BIOS Update Utilities
What is DualBIOS?
Motherboards that support DualBIOS have two BIOS onboard, a main BIOS and a backup BIOS. Normally, the
system works on the main BIOS. However, if the main BIOS is corrupted or damaged, the backup BIOS will
take over on the next system boot and copy the BIOS file to the main BIOS to ensure normal system operation.
For the sake of system safety, users cannot update the backup BIOS manually.

Notice the last line, "users cannot update the backup BIOS manually".
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 06:31:50 pm by Tiger »
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 06:33:44 pm »
Regarding synchronizing the Back-Up BIOS:

A change was made on my Z97 motherboard to that. I searched your Z170 motherboard manual and this is not mentioned.

5-1 BIOS Update Utilities
What is DualBIOS?
Motherboards that support DualBIOS have two BIOS onboard, a main BIOS and a backup BIOS. Normally, the
system works on the main BIOS. However, if the main BIOS is corrupted or damaged, the backup BIOS will
take over on the next system boot and copy the BIOS file to the main BIOS to ensure normal system operation.
For the sake of system safety, users cannot update the backup BIOS manually.

Notice the last line, "users cannot update the backup BIOS manually".

Thanks for the heads up on that piece of information Tiger, I wasn't aware of that particular change.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.