Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z170X-Gaming 5 can't display BIOS

Z170X-Gaming 5 can't display BIOS
« on: June 15, 2016, 06:22:36 pm »
After installing the Intel Graphics Driver and other utilities from the disk that came with the motherboard, I can no longer see the BIOS display (or Gigabyte splash-screen during start-up).    I was trying to configure the BIOS so I can use the Intel integrated graphics; presently I am using a low-end video card for graphics.   Previously, I flashed the BIOS to the current version F5, and installed windows 8.1 Pro and upgraded to Windows 10.     I tried updating to all the current drivers from the Gigabyte website, removing the Intel Graphics Driver, and removing the motherboard battery, but the issue is persistent.   When pressing Delete during startu-up, the motherboard code Ab indicates that it is in the BIOS, but there is nothing on the display.  During normal start-up, it no longer shows the Gigabyte splashscreen, and goes directly to Windows.   The Gigabyte App Center utility will also not install, and I get a cascade of warnings instead, but I am not sure that is related to the BIOS issue.   So how can I get the BIOS to display again?   

Re: Z170X-Gaming 5 can't display BIOS
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 12:26:47 pm »
Hello,

Take out the low-end GFX card
Disconnect your HDD.

Clear the CMOS by using a plastic JUMPER on the 2 pins or when you take the battery also short the 2 pins with a metal object, like a small screw driver and hold for 10 seconds. When you do this make sure the PSU is actually switched off.

Connect a monitor to the motherboard HDMi output
Power on, what happens?

Have you ever used the integrated GFX before?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 12:27:35 pm by ElectroStingz »
My PC is evolving

Re: Z170X-Gaming 5 can't display BIOS
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 08:05:50 pm »
Finally got the integrated working,thanks.  Shorting the battery connectors got the BIOS display back, and I booted to BIOS with the graphics card to set the BIOS to enable the integrated graphics under the Chipset menu.  Then I pulled the graphics card and got the integrated graphics to work with an HDMI to HDMI cable on another monitor.   The integrated graphics does not work so far with an HDMI to DVI cable.