Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z170X Gaming 7 Adaptive Mode for Voltage??

Z170X Gaming 7 Adaptive Mode for Voltage??
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:07:42 pm »
Hi Guys,

I would just like to say that im new to Overclocking so please bear with me.
I have built a new PC about a week ago and i have been reading a few guides on how to Overclock a Skylake CPU.

So at the moment im just starting off slow and have managed to get a 4.2GHz overclock @ 1.24 Volts. I have run Cinebench about 10x  and no issues yet.

From the guides i have been reading they refer to setting you CPU voltage to Adaptive after you have tested your stability, the thing is i cant find this option at all.
I can see only Manual or Auto, or to set it my self.

How do i go about setting adaptive mode on this motherboard? the guides i read all used Asus boards.

Is adaptive mode called something else in Gigabyte boards? or do i have to change another setting?

Thanks guys

i7 6700k
Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7 (Bios F7)
Gskill Trident Z 3200Mhz 16GB
Corsair H80iV2 CPU cooler
EVGA GTX 970 SC
EVGA 650G2 PSU

Edit: Would you guys recommend i update to the Beta Bios F8l?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:10:07 pm by Reksoul »

Re: Z170X Gaming 7 Adaptive Mode for Voltage??
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 10:08:53 pm »
Not sure about the overclock, i thought the 6700k was 4.2 out of the box? If you press the OC button on your mobo it bumps it to 4.4. Everything else is automatic. You can also do this with Gigabytes EasyTune.

As for the Beta Bios, I am currently running it and have no issues. I think all they are doing is updating memory overclock compatibility and few other small tweaks here and there. Thats the only reason I have it installed as I was trying to get my Trident Z 3400 compatible with the XMP profile. Which I believe it is if you have a GFX card.

What is your goal for overclocking, what exactly are you trying to do?

Re: Z170X Gaming 7 Adaptive Mode for Voltage??
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:24:52 pm »
Not sure about the overclock, i thought the 6700k was 4.2 out of the box? If you press the OC button on your mobo it bumps it to 4.4. Everything else is automatic. You can also do this with Gigabytes EasyTune.

As for the Beta Bios, I am currently running it and have no issues. I think all they are doing is updating memory overclock compatibility and few other small tweaks here and there. Thats the only reason I have it installed as I was trying to get my Trident Z 3400 compatible with the XMP profile. Which I believe it is if you have a GFX card.

What is your goal for overclocking, what exactly are you trying to do?

Hi Gigniotron,

Thanks for the reply, My 6700K was definitely 4.0 Ghz out of the box.
My goal for this is to get a stable 4.4Ghz Manual Overclock (Hoping to learn as i do it)  with the Memory running XMP or manual setting.

This my first real overclock attempt so im still trying to understand everything, all of the guides i have read have said about setting the voltage to adaptive mode to save your CPU long term.

I have noticed that on CPU-Z now my voltage is staying at around 1.2 ish and my core speed is staying at 4.2Ghz fixed.
From what i understand enabling adaptive mode will allow the CPU to wind down when at idle (I noticed it used wind down core speed and volts at default settings)

Thanks very much for your help
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:28:20 pm by Reksoul »