Official GIGABYTE Forum

Power/motherboard/Windows problem?

Power/motherboard/Windows problem?
« on: August 01, 2016, 12:23:06 am »
I have a Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0.  Generally very stable; I can leave PC running for days without any issues.

However, the majority of the times when I shut the PC down, whether this be a Windows shut down, hibernate or sleep, I cannot resume/power the PC back up.

Sometimes I press the power-on button, and nothing happens for 5-10 seconds, but then the machine starts to boot up, and works fine.

If I had put the PC to sleep or hibernated, I usually press the left mouse button to wake it up.  The light on the mouse indicates it has power, but it doesn't wake.  This is hit-and miss (sometimes does, sometime doesn't).

Sometimes the PC doesn't power back up at all.  I have to hold the power button in for 20 secs, then the mobo detects the BIOS is corrupt and copies from the backup.

I have tried switching to the backup BIOS via the mobo physical switch, but the same thing happens.

I tried updating the BIOS to the latest version, but didn't seem to make much difference, and I lose the BIOS upgrade when it says it is corrupt and copies from backup (I suppose I could flash it to both main and backup BIOSes).

Any ideas what the problem could be?

AndyM

Re: Power/motherboard/Windows problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 10:32:52 am »
I have a Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0.  Generally very stable; I can leave PC running for days without any issues.

However, the majority of the times when I shut the PC down, whether this be a Windows shut down, hibernate or sleep, I cannot resume/power the PC back up.

Sometimes I press the power-on button, and nothing happens for 5-10 seconds, but then the machine starts to boot up, and works fine.

If I had put the PC to sleep or hibernated, I usually press the left mouse button to wake it up.  The light on the mouse indicates it has power, but it doesn't wake.  This is hit-and miss (sometimes does, sometime doesn't).

Sometimes the PC doesn't power back up at all.  I have to hold the power button in for 20 secs, then the mobo detects the BIOS is corrupt and copies from the backup.

I have tried switching to the backup BIOS via the mobo physical switch, but the same thing happens.

I tried updating the BIOS to the latest version, but didn't seem to make much difference, and I lose the BIOS upgrade when it says it is corrupt and copies from backup (I suppose I could flash it to both main and backup BIOSes).

Any ideas what the problem could be?

I cannot offer any advice, but I had a similar problem with my Z77 D3H.  It was perfect with Windows 8.1 and for a while, it was OK with Windows 10.  Then it started to do exactly what you described, wouldn't start and sometimes said the BIOS was corrupt it copied the backup BIOS across.  I tried everything I could think of and in the end I reloaded Windows 10.  I made a mistake when reloading and didn't used UEFI but configured it in Legacy mode.  Since then, I have had no further problems.  Sorry I can't pin your problem down.

Andy

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 02:09:52 am »
Similar problem, brand new build

I7 6700k
gaming 7 mono
tridents 3299 16gb ddr4
750w pus

I can boot for about 5 seconds before cycles.  lights and fans, no monitor input or msg.  I have tried removing every component but pus and cpu, still same issue.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 12:11:10 am »
I cannot offer any advice, but I had a similar problem with my Z77 D3H.  It was perfect with Windows 8.1 and for a while, it was OK with Windows 10.  Then it started to do exactly what you described, wouldn't start and sometimes said the BIOS was corrupt it copied the backup BIOS across.  I tried everything I could think of and in the end I reloaded Windows 10.  I made a mistake when reloading and didn't used UEFI but configured it in Legacy mode.  Since then, I have had no further problems.  Sorry I can't pin your problem down.

Andy
I am on Windows 7 Pro still.  It's driving me mad.  If I knew for sure it was H/W, I would replace faulty mobo/PSU/whatever.  But if it's Windows installation, that's a pain to reinstall.

How can Windows interact at such a low level?  Seems unlikely it could be OS installation issue?

What did you mean "didn't use UEFI but configured in legacy"? HDD/SSD configuration?

AndyM

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 10:54:59 am »

Andy
I am on Windows 7 Pro still.  It's driving me mad.  If I knew for sure it was H/W, I would replace faulty mobo/PSU/whatever.  But if it's Windows installation, that's a pain to reinstall.

How can Windows interact at such a low level?  Seems unlikely it could be OS installation issue?

What did you mean "didn't use UEFI but configured in legacy"? HDD/SSD configuration?

As I understand it, UEFI if supported by your BIOS allows the use of HDs larger than 3TB.  It also boot faster.  If you look at the partitions on your HD and there is one labelled EFI then you probably already have UEFI set in BIOS.  A quick was to find out is whether you see the options to press keys to enter BIOS at boot up.  If you system simply boots straight into Windows 7, you probably already have UEFI enabled.  If you see the options to enter BIOS, go into BIOS and see if CSM is set to Never.  That enables UEFI as I understand.  Pleas realise I am no expert but have found this out by experimenting with my PC as it was a nightmare.

Andy

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 12:27:49 pm »
OK windows 7 is really not made to use UEFI. Yes it will work with it and get some fast boot times. Windows 8 & 10 support UEFI. But when it boots it has to go through some steps. It 1st check the CPU, memory, & then video. Now how do you have the monitor connected.

If you use HDMI again when you turn it on after it check the 3 items. Then the video card goes through steps too. VGA, DVI & then HDMI. The other thing you have to look at. How many things you have connected to the computer HHD's & USB HHD's.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.