Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problem with nvidia graphic drives on GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (Rev. 1.0)...

kelsinni

Hi all...
i had recently upgrade my old system to a AM3 socket. It is based on:
- Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (Rev. 1.0) with the latest F7 bios
- AMD Phenom II X3 710
- GIGABYTE 9800GT OC graphic card (GV-N98TOC-512I (rev. 1.0)
- 2x2GB OCZ Platinum PC3 12800

I had installed the windows 7 x64 OS with all the last updates.
I had installed the last nvidia drive for my graphic card (197.45 WHQL).some minutes after this instalation, my PC stalls for some seconds and appear a error message on the toolbar saying something like this:
"...the kernel drive 197.45 has crashed and the system has recover it..."

I had tried other old drive version as the 197.13 and other but the error keep apearing.
I tried to unistall the ATI CATALIST chipset drive that cames in on the motherboards web site thinking that maybe it could be some conflit between ATI and nvidia drives but no luck too.

Can anyone give me some help on this? I dont know anymore what i shoild do to solve this problem :(

Thks in advance by the help

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi,

Have you disabled the on-board graphics?
You need to do this in BIOS under Advanced BIOS features. Set Internal Graphics Mode to disabled (it is enabled by default)

Also, you will need the ATI chipset drivers for your mobo otherwise it won't work properly, so make sure you reinstall them!

Hope this helps
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

kelsinni

Hi,

Have you disabled the on-board graphics?
You need to do this in BIOS under Advanced BIOS features. Set Internal Graphics Mode to disabled (it is enabled by default)

Also, you will need the ATI chipset drivers for your mobo otherwise it won't work properly, so make sure you reinstall them!

Hope this helps

Hi...
first of all really thanks forr your help...I had already disable the onboard VGA on the bios but the problem persist. I will now try again install the ATI chipset drivers as you said. This chipset drivers include ATI CATALIST for onboard VGA, i cannot install North bridge and south bridge filters as the SATA and USB controllers without install it. There is other way to do that? i mean, by istalling ATI CATALIST it wont be any conflict drivers with Nvidia?

I will report again soon...

Thks agian

kelsinni

Hi again...
seems that i am with no luck at all :(
I had installed the chipset driver (that are available on the gigabyte web site fot his board), all the instalation occured with no problem at all

the installer in the end ask to reboot the system. I did, and check in the bios if the onboard VGA was disable and when OS rebooted my desktop went crazy for some seconds with some squares and triangles and past 3 or 4 seconds the message that had appeared in the past had appear again

past some seconds again all apparently went to normal but if i run for example a game that uses the graphic card, inside the game the monitor became with bugs and with lots of strange stuff...

I really dont know more what can i do...:(
Do you think that could be any hardware problem from the motherboard?

Thks agian

kelsinni

Can anyone help me??
i really dont know more what i must do to solve this...
I had test my graphic card with OCCT and no errors where given. I had run 3dMArk06 too and it complete all tests. So i can assume as i predicted that i was no problem from the graphic card...

The CPU is brand new too and surely not the cause to the problem to. The mems where tested with memtest all night and with no errors too.
The PSU brand new too and with enough power for all the components too...

There is any possible, besides the board is brand new too, that the problem might be because some hardware error from the motherboard??

All help will be gratefull

Thks   

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi,
Unless you are overclocking and as you have tested the hardware without any faults showing, I would guess that your problem is software based rather than your hardware.

I know it is a pain but have you tried re-installing the OS and system drivers?

Sometimes the quickest way to solve a problem is to go back to the beginning and start again. If I were in your situation I would:
Re-set BIOS to optimised defaults (DO NOT overclock any of the settings at this stage)
Disable any of the on-board features that I don't intend to use (on-board graphics, Serial Port, on-board audio for example)
Re-Install the OS
Install the Mobo Drivers (Only the Chipset, LAN, Audio, USB 3 drivers at this stage and none of the extras that come with the install CD)
Install Nvidia Graphics Driver
Test system for stability.
Install other software and test system again.

If you don't want to do this, another option would be to get hold of an ATI graphics card and try that instead.

ATB

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

kelsinni

Hi,
Unless you are overclocking and as you have tested the hardware without any faults showing, I would guess that your problem is software based rather than your hardware.

I know it is a pain but have you tried re-installing the OS and system drivers?

Sometimes the quickest way to solve a problem is to go back to the beginning and start again. If I were in your situation I would:
Re-set BIOS to optimised defaults (DO NOT overclock any of the settings at this stage)
Disable any of the on-board features that I don't intend to use (on-board graphics, Serial Port, on-board audio for example)
Re-Install the OS
Install the Mobo Drivers (Only the Chipset, LAN, Audio, USB 3 drivers at this stage and none of the extras that come with the install CD)
Install Nvidia Graphics Driver
Test system for stability.
Install other software and test system again.

If you don't want to do this, another option would be to get hold of an ATI graphics card and try that instead.

ATB

Hello again... my first try before i had post here was format the HDD again and reinstall th SO and system drives but the problem has kept.
I had already tried some other versions of nVidia drives 197.45, 197.13 and 186.18 but none of them works too.

I have another PCIe graphic card, an old ATI X300se. Should i try to install this one and see if the problem persist?

Thks again your help

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi,

Somewhere on this forum, another member had similar problems and found the only way to resolve it was to switch to an ATI graphics card. (Sorry , I can't locate this post at the moment).

If you can try an ATI card it would help as there could be a driver issue between Nvidia and ATI as you mentioned earlier.

ATB

kelsinni

As i said i have an old ATI x300se pcie too. I will try it later and report to you. If  i had no problem with that ATI i can conclude as you said that this board cannot support an Nvidia graphic card??

If that is true Gigabyte dindnt mentioned anything about it on their website. And now me and other people are stuck with a problem that from my point of view is all gigabyte's fault! Do you know where is the propriate section of gigabyte for i make a complain about it?

Thks for your help

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi,

If ATI card does sort out the problem you could try sending a PM to runn3r, I'm sure he will forward it to the correct people for you.

kelsinni

Hi,

If ATI card does sort out the problem you could try sending a PM to runn3r, I'm sure he will forward it to the correct people for you.

Ok...later when i return to my PC i will try that ATI card. If no problem happend i can conclude that is really a problem regarding conflict problems between the board and the graphic card and nothing can be done?

If that happends i will PM runn3r as you said and explain it to him....

Thks again ;)

P.S. Meanwhile i have sent a message to Gigabyte's technical support explaining this and im waiting their reply

kelsinni

Hi absic115...
yestherday befor i had tried the ATI X300se i had install the latest nvidia drives again just to see and as i expected that error message appear past some seconds:

Past that error all apparently had back normal, then i tried to run a game to test it. i run the NFS shift and past some minutes in the game happened this:

I had to leave the game and then my desktop became like this:

I had to restar PC to the things get normal again. Psta that i tried the old ATI x300se and install the latest ATI drives for it.No problem and no error after the install of the drives.
As it cannot run NFS shift i tried to run tackmania nations with it to see if it gave me any error. No error had occured.
I remove it and placed the Nvidia 9800GT again and run the same game and none errors had occured too :(

Seem that with more demanding 3D aplications the Nvidia keeps giving errors but no error with less demanding ones...
What do you think about this?

Etherway i will PM runn3r as you said and see what he can teld me about this...

THKS FOR YOUR HELP AGAIN

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi,
to be honest I moved away from Nvidia Graphics cards about 18 months ago as I became disillusioned over their price, drivers and software.

I don't think there should be an issue of running an Nvidia GPU on an ATI board but, I have come across several instances where this has been the case and the only resolution has been to replace the Nvidia card with an ATI one. In the PC's that I build, I tend to use ATI cards now, so I haven't had to deal with this problem.

Seem that with more demanding 3D aplications the Nvidia keeps giving errors but no error with less demanding ones...
What do you think about this?

The fact that your old ATI card seems to work properly, would seem to point to the fact that the problem is more  likely to be one of the software environment and a possible conflict between the ATI drivers and those of the Nvidia Graphics drivers......

However, despite the fact that your own hardware tests haven't shown a problem, there could still be a hardware fault, if the graphics card isn't getting enough voltage, for example. This could be why your are experiencing the problems with higher end games and the more demanding programmes as the GPU requires more power for these tasks. You could try tweaking the MIT settings in BIOS for this, to see if you can improve things.

ATB

kelsinni

Eitherway i have flashed the bios of the GPU now. I will try again the tests to see...but at this point i really dont have very hope that it will solve the problem...

Besides the PSU is brand new to i will make the OCCT PSU test just to see.
Im still waiting for the reply of the technical support from gigabyte and their explanaitions for these kind of problems.

Im waiting too for thr reply of runn3r to see what he has to tell...

What do you mean when you say: " You could try tweaking the MIT settings in BIOS for this, to see if you can improve things."
Increase some voltage on chipset?

Thks ;)

absic

• Bandcamp
What do you mean when you say: " You could try tweaking the MIT settings in BIOS for this, to see if you can improve things."
Increase some voltage on chipset?

Yes, you can try increasing the voltage slightly to the Northbridge as this might help. But do this slowly, don't make BIG jumps in the voltage and test after each tweak to see if this helps cure the problem. You will find this in BIOS under the MIT heading and you will need to set the System Voltage Control to Manual before you can make any alterations. When you do this you might get an Over voltage warning flashing on the screen, this is normal so don't worry about it.

You can also try changing the PCIE Clock frequency up or down a little to see if this helps. Again, be careful with this setting and don't make big changes in one go.