HAL errors, shutdowns, BIOS issues
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:24:13 pm »
Hello,

I have an AMD system with the below specs:

AMD FX 8350, stock
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 rev. 3.0, FEh BIOS
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600
ASUS STRIX GTX 970

It used to work properly - until today - Windows update happened.

And then, waking up from sleep creates a HAL entry in Event Viewer:

"The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition.  Please check for updated firmware for your system."

This once lead to a full crash, not even a BSOD, and the BIOS wanted me to load optimized values/enter BIOS, you know that menu when some kind of corruption happens. Loaded optimized and rebooted, but each sleep results in a HAL entry.

Last BIOS for my motherboard, which I use, is from 2014 :( All the advice on the web for this issue is update the BIOS. Inside the BIOS, the UEFI only has an option for Windows 8 WHQL, not Windows 10, obviosuly since it is so old.

Please, help me fix this, get it back to normal. Thank you.

EDIT: after I resume from sleep, the CPU fan is no longer working properly. Took a look in AIDA64, and the CPU temp was something like "-128 Celsius" - no wonder the fan didn't kick in properly. I suspect this might have contributed to the crash, maybe the CPU got overheated from lack of fan cooperation after I resumed from sleep...

EDIT1: uninstalled the latest cumulative update, still get HAL errors in Event Viewer after resuming from sleep. CPU fan not working properly either, -128C shown temperature (per core temps are OK, but fan reacts to CPU temp). Sometimes I can't even resume from sleep, I need to hard-reset the PC.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:55:57 pm by Undon3 »

Undon3

Re: HAL errors, shutdowns, BIOS issues
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 07:09:27 pm »
Nobody has anything to say about this? I can easily reproduce this each time.

AgentFXA

• none
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 01:31:15 am »
Not much I can say here - I would not install WinX on an 4yo mobo let alone install X at all.

1) The occasional bios corruption message is "normal" for my board - no effects for me.

2) The fan speed problem after resume was a known problem, for my board, and Gigabyte provided a bios update to fix this. However they never released any official update and the website still provides the faulty bios as latest available.

You can try an earlier Win restore point from b4 the update?

Other than that better get a new recent mobo instead of trying to fix ol' things - much quicker!
Microsoft X update is mingling with the bios too hence once it's broken...

X570 Aorus Elite Wifi / Ryzen 2700x / Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900 XT Gaming OC 20G Graphics Card / 16 GB HyperX Predator 3200 / SeaSonic 850W / Tt View 71 TG / Win10x64

Undon3

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 06:30:36 pm »
Other than that better get a new recent mobo instead of trying to fix ol' things - much quicker!
Microsoft X update is mingling with the bios too hence once it's broken...
This is my second PC. It is perfectly functional, there's simply no reason whatsoever to buy a new motherboard with the same features. Win10 is required due to having a DX12 card. Spending money on AM3+ now would be beyond stupid.

I guess this is one manufacturer I am not going to choose. Same with AMD. Nvidia still supporting older cards, AMD not. Gigabyte would provide a new BIOS for 4.0 revision, but not for 3.0. Great.

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 10:05:26 pm »
sleep and treehugger setting has always been a problem and a bad idea.

I would try the FB bios or do as I did and try a user update bios I one for my ga-990fxa-ud3 (rev. 4.0) here on this forum the W10 update f***ed me pc up good
and with google i found a user beta from 2015
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Gigabyte/Gigabyte-GA-990XA-UD3-rev-30-BIOS-FEh-Beta.shtml

low end MB are always first to stop getting update and the high end board the last,  so best is to buy high end board and cheapest cpu that works on it if you are low on cash update to bigger cpu later.

big high quality psu can last a few pc build as long as it big enough for new part in next pc, it's  better to buy 1 big good one then 3 good and small