Official GIGABYTE Forum

HELP! 5.1 surround stopped working

Metzamo

HELP! 5.1 surround stopped working
« on: September 15, 2016, 07:23:13 pm »
I have a Gigabyte Z170MX - Gaming 5 motherboard with Logitech Z-906 speakers connected. I turned off my desktop one evening, and the next day my 5.1 surround had suddenly decided to stop working. It is only playing in 2.0. No Windows 10 (x64) updates were installed, and none of the drivers got updated. All drivers are up to date, and so is my Windows. Both Realtek HD Audio Manager and Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 say that my surround speakers are connected, although testing or actually playing games/videos only plays sound through my front left and front right speakers. I have gone through all the configurations and settings I can think of to make sure it is all set to 5.1 (which it is), and uninstalled/reinstalled drivers over and over. All the cables for my speakers have been replaced (making no difference), and all cables are properly connected.

The weird thing is it was working properly when I was using my desktop (for about 10 minutes) yesterday. But now it is back to 2.0.

Games and videos TRY to play sound through my other speakers, but ends up being mute.

jason-uk

Re: HELP! 5.1 surround stopped working
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 08:14:24 pm »
I have a Gigabyte Z170MX - Gaming 5 motherboard with Logitech Z-906 speakers connected. I turned off my desktop one evening, and the next day my 5.1 surround had suddenly decided to stop working. It is only playing in 2.0. No Windows 10 (x64) updates were installed, and none of the drivers got updated. All drivers are up to date, and so is my Windows. Both Realtek HD Audio Manager and Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 say that my surround speakers are connected, although testing or actually playing games/videos only plays sound through my front left and front right speakers. I have gone through all the configurations and settings I can think of to make sure it is all set to 5.1 (which it is), and uninstalled/reinstalled drivers over and over. All the cables for my speakers have been replaced (making no difference), and all cables are properly connected.

The weird thing is it was working properly when I was using my desktop (for about 10 minutes) yesterday. But now it is back to 2.0.

Games and videos TRY to play sound through my other speakers, but ends up being mute.

Re-install your sound card drivers , download them from the creative website and when installing select all, i have the same speaker system , also if you're using a sound card i would disable the onboard sound for your M/B from within the bios  .   
GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 bios f8
i7 6700k @ 4.6
2 x MSI gtx 980ti sli @ 1450 mhz
2x samsung 850 evo 500 gb ssd Raid0
16gb (2x8gb) modules kingston fury ddr4 2666mhz
3 x wd blacks hdd 1tb
1 x samsung spinpoint hdd 1tb
1x seagate barracuda hdd 1tb
leadex superflower 1200w Platinum PSU