Official GIGABYTE Forum

UEFI bios flashing woes on a ga-z68-ud5-b3 rev 1

UEFI bios flashing woes on a ga-z68-ud5-b3 rev 1
« on: September 30, 2016, 02:43:54 pm »
I know there is no EUFI bios on the website but ive been given a file by tech support to try as my board wont let me overclock a recently purchased 3770k as its locked at a 39x multiplier in my bios, obviously this is irksome as k class processors and my board both tout overclocking as a main feature, this is my context.

I have had a good ole time of it with usb issues and windows being poorly adjusted with a little splash of "argggg my computer wont even boot nomore D:" but have finally gotten to the point where I can boot into freedos and enter the command to flash bios... After which nothing happens.... No prompt to turn off my computer, I selected optimised safe defaults when I restarted but to no avail.

Im going to list what I did as exactly as I can and hopefully someone can tell me what I did wrong.

I created via rufus a bootable drive running freedos.

I extracted flashspi.exe on the drive

I then entered bios to set my boot order, enable usb storage and checked to make sure usb legacy settings were enabled.

I then booted from my usb, I then attempted the command gigabyte had instucted me to type "C:> flashefi.exe U1b" and also just "flashefi.exe" as the /dir only listed the second command as an exe/ launch able file.

Nothing obvious happened so I waited, then after 5-10 mins I restarted and choose optimised defaults, had a couple of failed restarts where the computer went into a look of not booting up and restarting for it too boot up eventually into normal bios and eventually windows.
CPUz informs me I still have the F10 bios installed.

Im sure this is my fault and Ive literally never flashed a eufi bios from a normal one so any tips from anyone who has walked this path before would be most reassuring.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any help anybody has.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: UEFI bios flashing woes on a ga-z68-ud5-b3 rev 1
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 03:49:00 pm »
Hi there,

Check through this post: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=2441.msg89013#msg89013 and the one that follows it as you might find them helpful.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Tiger

Re: UEFI bios flashing woes on a ga-z68-ud5-b3 rev 1
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 06:17:58 pm »
You wrote, you were "given a file by tech support".
 flash bios... After which nothing happens

Gigabyte uses self extracting compressed files when it transmits files over the internet. Failure to run the file and enable the self extractor will leave you trying to use a compressed file which obviously won't be the correct file to flash the BIOS with.
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini