Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68A D3 B3 - Flashed to UEFI - CPU_Fan issue

Z68A D3 B3 - Flashed to UEFI - CPU_Fan issue
« on: December 21, 2016, 11:10:43 pm »
Hi all
Since I flashed my BIOS to the latest version on your website for my motherboard, the UEFI one, I am having problems with my CPU Fan.
When my CPU Fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN port on my motherboard... If the CPU FAN SPEED CONTROL is set to anything other than disabled it does not spin, when it is on disabled it will spin but very slowly and does not speed up even when the CPU is under load.
I plugged my CPU Fan into the SYS_FAN1 port and the CPU spins very fast. Plugging another case fan into the CPU_FAN port and the same applies to that fan, it only spins very slow.
Right now I am having to keep my CPU Fan plugged into the SYS_FAN1 port but now thats going at 100% speed all the time which is noisy. I would like to get the CPU_FAN Port working correctly so I can use that again so it works accordingly with the CPU Temps.
Please can you help

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Z68A D3 B3 - Flashed to UEFI - CPU_Fan issue
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 11:45:21 pm »
The only thing I can say is go back to the bios just before this one. There is a lot of people have had problems with the UEFI bios. It is a Beta and what does it say when flashing a bios. You are taking a personal risk of BIOS flash failure.

The bios was really never made for UEFI. All those Beta bios UEFI were a after thought. Yes some people got it to work some what. But most of them didn't. By what you are saying eveything was fine till you updated to the UEFI. You should be able to adjust the system speed in the bios. 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 01:10:07 am »
Its a shame it doesnt work 100% because there are advantages of the UEFI bios, I understand that its a beta but its been a beta for years (the same version) and its listed on the official website.. so it cant be that dangerous id of thought or they would have made it more difficult to find

Literally the only problem is the CPU_FAN Port isnt working as intended, "CPU Fan header" is that the correct term?

I have ways around it ofcourse, such as plugging the CPU fan into the SYS_FAN2 instead.... but yeah was looking more for any advice on how to maybe get it to work.

I have flashed back to F11 for the time being but I want to give UEFI another try very soon, so trying to get some tricks up my sleeve first

dmdilks

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 04:25:44 am »
But that is far as it got just a beta. They never did any work on it to fix a lot of the problems. It is something they threw out there for the people that had the Z68 board. Because the Z77 was the first board with UEFI.

When you did the upgrade to the UEFi. Did you pull the battery and jump out the Cmos for about 5 to 10 mins. Then set it to default setting. Then give it a try.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 12:49:22 pm »
I didnt do nothing with the battery no
I did pull out the power cord like it told me too though, and I did load the optimized default settings first thing

Would the battery make much difference?

dmdilks

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 01:53:42 pm »
I didnt do nothing with the battery no
I did pull out the power cord like it told me too though, and I did load the optimized default settings first thing

Would the battery make much difference?

I'm old school every time I do a bios update I pull the battery and clear the cmos. That way you know that everything has been cleared out of the bios. The only thing is give it a try.