Official GIGABYTE Forum

B85-DS3H-A Motherboard + RX 400 series / GTX 10 Series cards

F7GOS

B85-DS3H-A Motherboard + RX 400 series / GTX 10 Series cards
« on: January 27, 2017, 09:21:20 am »
Hey folks, I have recently built a system using Gigabyte parts and have been having a few issues that I hope you could help me out on.

I decided to build a budget replacement PC to tide me over until AMD release their RYZEN chips and hopefully shake up the price of the latest sockets. The build consists of the following:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85-DS3H-A
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590
Ram: 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz#
Storage: 1SSD + 1HDD
PSU: EVGA 500W
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti

The PC was built a few months back and I have been alternating between cards like the R9 280X / GTX 770 and even older cards like the GTS 450 and the HD 6970 (review purposes).

I built the Gigabyte GTX 1050Ti to give newer architecture a try and did the following.

Boot to safe mode, Run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller),Turn off Machine, Remove GPU, Insert new GTX 1050Ti (No external PCI-E power connectors needed), Turn on Machine.

Usually at this stage when I replace the GPU I can see the motherboard logo etc before windows kicks in, but its just a black screen. Not an "off" screen as the light on the monitor is still on -  its just black. as if something is trying to display but cant. This is through DVI, also tried HDMI.

Struggling to find an answer online for this but does anyone have any ideas? Is the Motherboard compatible with these newer cards?

Reason I ask, is a week back I bought a Gigabyte RX 460 which needed to be RMA'd and im struggling to believe that i've got ANOTHER dead on arrival GPU from Gigabyte.

I have usually stuck with MSi or ASUS for my GPU's and Motherboards and this is my first foray into using Gigabyte products at the heart of the system.

Installing any of the other graphics cards I have in stock boots up as expected. I believe that the motherboard was released after the GTX770 / R9 280X. Im starting to think that there may be something up with the motherboard and newer cards?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: B85-DS3H-A Motherboard + RX 400 series / GTX 10 Series cards
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 03:51:03 pm »
The 1050 should be a good match for a B85 chipset.  Only a 75w draw with a 300w minimum PSU requirement.  Since there are no extra PCI-e connections required, I imagine this configuration would never pull more than 300w until you stress it.

What you describe is usually BIOS or software related.  I say this because you are switching between different graphics cards and trusting DDU to clean up previous driver installs. 

So things to look at:

If there is a Gen Option in BIOS for the GPU, try switching from AUTO, to 1, 2 or 3.  ***  PCIe Slot Configuration <<<  This one.

Ensure option for primary graphics adapter is not set to On-board (PCIe 1 Slot).  Disable Fast Boot Option. Ensure BIOS is using Legacy boot options

Test the card using DVI or Display Port, (no adapters) directly to a compatible display.  HDMI out can be finicky.  Add an adapter or output to a display that doesn't support lower resolutions natively during POST can cause issues.  Not worth the time trying to figure out why.

Of course test the card in another machine to ensure its working. 

You may also want to consider a fresh install of the OS, and create a back up system image with no graphics card installed.  Instead of using DDU, restore the windows system image between card swaps to ensure a "clean" test bed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:24:05 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

F7GOS

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 04:19:49 pm »
The 1050 should be a good match for a B85 chipset.  Only a 75w draw with a 300w minimum PSU requirement.  Since there are no extra PCI-e connections required, I imagine this configuration would never pull more than 300w until you stress it.

What you describe is usually BIOS or software related.  I say this because you are switching between different graphics cards and trusting DDU to clean up previous driver installs. 

So things to look at:

If there is a Gen Option in BIOS for the GPU, try switching from AUTO, to 1, 2 or 3.  ***  PCIe Slot Configuration <<<  This one.

Ensure option for primary graphics adapter is not set to On-board (PCIe 1 Slot).  Disable Fast Boot Option. Ensure BIOS is using Legacy boot options

Test the card using DVI or Display Port, (no adapters) directly to a compatible display.  HDMI out can be finicky.  Add an adapter or output to a display that doesn't support lower resolutions natively during POST can cause issues.  Not worth the time trying to figure out why.

Of course test the card in another machine to ensure its working. 

You may also want to consider a fresh install of the OS, and create a back up system image with no graphics card installed.  Instead of using DDU, restore the windows system image between card swaps to ensure a "clean" test bed.

Thanks, checked all the options in the bios and theres nothing there that seems out if the ordinary. 

Creating a new windows OS on a new ssd which is destined for a friend build but I'll use it in mine to see if a fresh install yields any better results.

F7GOS

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:37:17 am »
Just to update, none of the above worked. I have contacted my supplier for a return.

Very unfortunate but it looks like that has been two Gigabyte GPU's that have arrived dead in the last month.

Very disappointing as for most other builds I have stuck with the likes of MSi, EVGA and even ASUS. I thought I would give some of the other manufacturers like Gigabyte a go with the Rx460 and GTX 1050Ti builds but that hasn't really panned out to well.

Touch wood though as the B85-DS3H-A has been fine so far.. lets hope with the replacement they manage to bring that 1 out of 3 products working up to a 2 out of 4...