Sevren

ACC disabled after reboot : 770TA-UD3
« on: March 30, 2010, 03:43:29 am »
Here's my setup :

GA 770TA-UD3 Rev 1.0
Phenom II X2 555 BE
2 x 2 GB A-DATA DDR3 1600

I'm trying to unlock the other 2 cores.

I go into the BIOS configuration and enable Hybrid firmware. I reboot. I go back into the BIOS configuration, enable ACC. I save and reboot. POST shows a X2 still. I go back into the BIOS configuration, and ACC is disabled. I tried a hundred different settings in the BIOS with no luck : after a reboot, ACC is always disabled. My board came with firmware F1, and I also tried firmware F2.

Is this the normal behavior for a chip that won't unlock? I was under the impression that all X2s had 4 cores, but that some of them were defective, and if that was the case than the computer would not boot at all or would crash randomly.

Is my chip unlockable, or am I doing something wrong?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: ACC disabled after reboot : 770TA-UD3
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:59:29 am »
Hi,

A pretty dumb question but, when you try to enable the EC Firmware Selection from Normal to Hybrid are you getting this message?
"BIOS Is Updating EC Firmware!!! Don't Turn Off Or Reset System"
If you are not, then you are doing something wrong and I would suggest re-setting BIOS to optimised defaults before trying again.

If you are getting this message then you are doing things right and there is a possible problem with the BIOS so, another option would be to try the beta bios that is available for your mobo, just to see if that works. (You can always go back to the F2 BIOS if it doesn't).

I am also under the impression that the Phenom II x2 has 4 cores with 2 disabled so I don't think this is the problem and you should be able to unlock them even if they are faulty.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Sevren

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:13:49 pm »
Hello and thanks for your reply!

Yes I do get the message you are referring to when I enable hybrid firmware.

I can enable ACC with the normal firmware. Then I can change values for individual cores. It's only when I enable the hybrid firmware that ACC goes right back to being disabled. I tried using "Auto", "All Cores" and "Per Core" as value for ACC, but everytime I reboot it goes back to "Disabled".

I'll try the beta BIOS and post back the results later today.

Sevren

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 11:57:37 pm »
Same result with the beta F3c BIOS.  :-[

Very disappointing!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:17:58 am »
Hi,

To be honest I haven't played around with the ACC settings as I have an X4 CPU so I am only guessing here. If you can alter the core settings in "Normal" mode and the cores are locked off in "Hybrid" mode then maybe it is working in the opposite way to that which you expect.

Maybe the "Hybrid" setting forces the CPU to be at the AMD default settings (ie 2 cores) for stability and the "Normal" mode allows you to adjust the settings but with the increased risk of instability.

As I said, I am only guessing here and hopefully someone with an X2 or X3 who has more knowledge of the ACC function can pick-up this thread and give you a definite answer.

Sorry that I can't help you any more than this. :-\
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Jevon

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 11:36:03 pm »
Rather than starting a new thread I'm bumping this one as I'm having the exact same ACC disabling issue with the ga-770ta-ud3 board and the 555BE processor. My board came with F2 bios, and I get the same results still after updating to F3.

Please help, as AMD Overdrive also doesn't work properly without ACC :(

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 07:19:05 pm »

Thats interesting; I have the exact opposite behavior with my GA-770TA-UD3 Mobo.
The only way I can unlock the 4th core on my X3 720 is by setting the firmware to "Hybrid" and turning on ACC.
If I select "Normal" firmware and turn on ACC then after rebooting the ACC is back to "Disabled" and the 4th core is still locked.
It has worked this same way through 3 BIOS versions F2, F3c, and now F3; so I don't think the BIOS version is the problem.
Maybe the setting works differently depending on the CPU you're using???
Sorry, but I have to ask; did you zero the CMOS and reload the Optimized Defaults after upgrading the BIOS?
Hope this helps.

j2o

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:27:13 pm »
hi have seen loads of others that board with haveing 710 southbridge check this out

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/535501-amd-phenom-ii-core-unlocking-guide.html

works no problems with GA-MA790X-UD3P  ;D
GA-MA790X-UD3P ,X4 9850be,XMAS2cl4 800mhz, BFG GTS250 1GBoc & M4N98TD EVO,X4 B50be, gskill DDR3 1600 1.5v cl9. X2  inno3d 9600GToc DDR3 512