Official GIGABYTE Forum

Boot loop when PC is off long time. Gigabyte Z77X UD3H ver 1.1

Hi everyone,

So here's my problem. If I leave the computer off for like a day or two, when I start the PC it will go on a boot loop (like 3 times) and then it will start normally. If It's off for just hours (like over night) it will boot without a problem.

What I see when it does the boot loop is the Gigabyte start screen, then a dual bios blue screen with nothing written on it, then nothing, it reboots. The only thing different is the Gigabyte start screen, which is not the new one: the one that comes with the latest bios, but the original one, like an old one. And when it finally boots corrently it does so with the latest gigabyte start screen.

I've tried a few times to reflash de bios with the latest version, f20e, but it's still doing it. I have no idea what else I could do. Any ideas? thanks a lot.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Boot loop when PC is off long time. Gigabyte Z77X UD3H ver 1.1
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 02:32:06 am »
By any chance did you do a bios update and then it started doing this. Or did it just start on it's own.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

SLK

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 07:22:40 am »
Maybe your motherboard doesn't remember settings. I had the same problem with another Gigabyte model (GA-B250M-D3H). If the power was cutted off for a long time, motherboard started twice and with default settings. Now I'm waiting for an answer from RMA. I guess this is a common problem with Gigabyte's motherboards. My new Asus board, the same proc and ram, no problems.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:18:32 am »
Just a thought but, as this is an older motherboard, have you tried replacing the motherboard battery?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 12:27:47 pm »
By any chance did you do a bios update and then it started doing this. Or did it just start on it's own.

I updated to the latest bios a long time ago. When it came out. It just started doing this a couple of months ago.
It looks like it's trying to boot with the older bios version and failing. Bizarre that it only happens if I leave the PC off for a long time (and not always).

Do you think it could be the cmos battery? I changed it last year. Maybe it's faulty.

dmdilks

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 01:49:18 pm »
The way to test the battery unplug it for about five minutes. Then try it and see what happens. If it is the battery it will go back to the first date when it was build. That is the time and date. If the time & date stay at today's time & date then the battery is fine.

I just look at you board you have a bios switch and what bios are you using? Plus make sure the switch isn't in the middle between 1 & 2 bios. It should tell you which bios you are using. There are 2 LED lights on the board.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 02:18:57 pm »
The way to test the battery unplug it for about five minutes. Then try it and see what happens. If it is the battery it will go back to the first date when it was build. That is the time and date. If the time & date stay at today's time & date then the battery is fine.

I just look at you board you have a bios switch and what bios are you using? Plus make sure the switch isn't in the middle between 1 & 2 bios. It should tell you which bios you are using. There are 2 LED lights on the board.

Just checked that switch, it was set to 'main bios' and the LED's  light is also on 'main bios'...I'll try to test the battery like you said. Thanks a lot.

dmdilks

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 05:13:00 pm »
You can use the backup too. That way you can see if the main one is having a problem.