Official GIGABYTE Forum

H55N-USB3 (mini-itx) - will it have dual link DVI?

karoug

H55N-USB3 (mini-itx) - will it have dual link DVI?
« on: May 08, 2010, 11:07:09 pm »
Does anyone know if the upcoming MINI-ITX GA-H55N-USB3 will have dual-link DVI capable of 2560x1600?

Unlike the other Gigabyte USB3 motherboards the mini-itx model has no DisplayPort so I'm not optimistic but I thought I'd ask.

According to an Intel tech I discussed this with as well as the technical documents the intel HD graphics on board the processor chip of the I3 and I5 series does support dual link for DVI as well as the DisplayPort if it is implemented on the motherboard. Unfortunately, no one has done so with mini-itx and so far I believe Gigabyte is the only one who used a DisplayPort. There are enough digital channels for video for dual-link if someone would implement it.

So far my only choice to support a 30" monitor @ 2560x1600 with a mini-itx socket 1156 has been by adding an ATI  HD 5450 and disabling the on board GPU. The 5450 only uses about 20 watts maximum and the performance is about the same as an i5-661 with the integrated HD but it's a bit of a waste.

Personally, I think a displayport would have been preferable to a VGA d-sub since it's east to get a DVI-to-Dsub adapter if needed.