Official GIGABYTE Forum

EP45-UD3R - Motherboard won't boot into BIOS

EP45-UD3R - Motherboard won't boot into BIOS
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:30:50 pm »
Hey Guys,

I need some help with my computer. It won’t load at all not even the BIOS.

Specs:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (Win 7 64 bit drivers)
Intel E8400 @ 3.0GHz w/ Intel Freezer Pro Rev 2
OCZ Gold 2x1GB PC-6400 800Mhz
Samsung F3 - 500GB
Antec TruePower 650W
His ATI 5770
Antec 300 Case

I built my own computer, with this being my second build so I feel I’m fairly competent when it comes to putting it together, but really inexperienced when it comes to solving the problem when the computer doesn’t work.

I built the PC in January, only upgrading the PSU, graphics and OS (Win 7) two months ago in March.

When I turned on the power to the PSU but without pressing the “on” button on the front panel, the computer turned on and off itself and continued to do it until I switched it off. The BIOS or OS did not load up at all.

So I checked the wiring to make sure everything was plugged into the motherboard, these included:
1. ATX 12V - 4 PIN
2. 24 PIN Motherboard connection
3. PCI-E connector
4. SATA power connectors

I also checked that the POWER SWITCH or RESET connectors were connected.

I tired turning it on again, on the motherboard all four "PHASE" leds lights up for a second and then the fans start to spin again for a second, before everything turns off and it restarts again and repeats this process continuously. The BIOS does not load up. I even rebuilt the system and still had the same problem. I checked the PSU at my HOME pc and it worked fine.

I did some research on the internet, and i found the problem is called the reboot cycle, and its infamous amongst Gigabyte's motherboard.
I have 2x 1GB RAM from OCZ. I put one DIMM at a time an it did not boot. I put the DIMM in other channels it didn't boot. I replaced the ram with 512MB Kingston DDR2, and it still hasn't booted.

There are no audio beeps. I'm not even sure what is going wrong. I can't load BIOS to check settings, I've reset CMOS.

I've uploaded a video of the problem on to YouTube to show what I've done to rectify it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjPWCzXf1NA

Are there any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:08:52 pm by coldfused »

Re: EP45-UD3R - Motherboard won't boot into BIOS
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 08:10:55 pm »
Howdy,

I watched your video.   It could be your processor, but those fail once every blue moon.  Given what you said its unlikely to be your PSU, but if you have a multimeter, plug in your 24 pin mainboard connector, grab your manual and check the voltage on each lead...

But I think you already pegged it - 95% certain it's your motherboard.  Provided that there are no shorts in your case or loose connections, a motherboard logic/circuit problem is the only other common issue that would cause this.  Also, you are correct in observing that it's a major problem with the ep45 series.

If you got a later revision, DOA's seem to be disconcertingly common on this model.  Personally I'm on my second ep45-ud3p and it still doesn't work right.  Hope you get it worked out  :(

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:13:11 pm by faraway64d »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 10:26:02 pm »
Hi
I would assume that when you built it in January it was working ok. If that is correct I would first rebuild it using the original parts(psu, graphics) and see if it will then work again. If it does then you can try just adding one part at a time.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Fatman

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 02:03:32 am »
Hi there, well after watching your video I would be putting my money on the antec power supply. You borrowed a stick of ram from your friend, well what power supply does he have and would allow you to borrow that jut to rule out the PSU.....It could simply be that to PSU you have is faulty or not strong enough.......Be a little unusual for the mobo to be dead but not impossible.......Try a different PSU and see how that goes.

[FIXED] EP45-UD3R - Motherboard won't boot into BIOS
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:51:17 am »
My computer is working  ;D

So I followed instructions given by tech support which were:
 - Install only the motherboard, cpu and cooler, vga card, one stick of ram and psu
 - Reset the CMOS
 - Remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes
 - Install internal speaker

Before I thought, the motherboard had internal speakers but it didn't and my antec 300 lacks internal speakers. I bought a motherboard testing kit from Maplins for a £5 which had a speaker, HDD and POWER LED and Reset/Power switches (plugging Maplins here).

The computer at first would start, it would go into longer reboot cycle - tried again and i heard motherboard beep (1 long - 3 short) which suggested there was a VGA error. I replaced my HIS ATI 5770 with an older Gigabyte 6600GT, and the computer posted and loaded up with no problems.
It's been two days so far and all seems to be working well.
I'm going to RMA the VGA card.

What I don't understand back then was why the computer would go into the reboot cycle? Even with the faulty VGA card installed, it didn't behave like it did last week.....

Glad its working though!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:51:52 am by coldfused »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 12:12:38 pm »
It may well be that your PSU isn't really powerful enough and when you put in a lesser graphics card it consumed less power and so ran ok. If you have any further problems try a more powerful PSU.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 01:20:32 pm »
The PSU is 650W made by Seasonic, branded under Antec. It is fairly powerful and should easily power this graphics card, but I will give the VGA to a friend to test it. He is running a 5770 also.