Official GIGABYTE Forum

Task 20 timeout on disk X at LBA 0xXXXXXX

Eric Tan

Task 20 timeout on disk X at LBA 0xXXXXXX
« on: May 17, 2010, 06:38:27 am »
Hi guys!

I am using a GA-MA790GP-DS4H configured for RAID for the onboard SATA controllers. I have 5 SATA harddisks hooked up to the system. All of these are currently set up as standalone (non-RAIDed) harddisks.

One of these harddisks is used to store files of large sizes: VHDs (virtual harddisks). I notice that frequently, if access to these VHDs are needed, I see "task 20 timeout on disk X at LBA 0xXXXXXX (Length: 0xXX)" messages pop up in the task tray. A correpsonding event log is also found in the System events.

I don't really mind these messges as everything still continues to work, but it frustrates me that disk I/O performance drops drastically when the "timeouts" are occurring. I'm talking about "Response time (ms)" upwards of 5000 and more that lasts for between 5-10 minutes, during which disk access to that harddisk essentially stalls. Interestingly, disk access to the other harddisks continue to be blazingly fast: only that harddisk containing the large files is affected.

Does anyone know if there's a solution to fix this?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Task 20 timeout on disk X at LBA 0xXXXXXX
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:45:10 pm »
Hi,

A couple of questions:

What make of HDD's are you using? (This kind of problem can be caused if using "Green" or "Energy Saving" drives)
What OS are you running?

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Eric Tan

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:53:04 pm »
Hi,

A couple of questions:

What make of HDD's are you using? (This kind of problem can be caused if using "Green" or "Energy Saving" drives)
What OS are you running?

ATB

Not sure if they are "Green". I'm using Western Digital w15EADS drives.

In any case, can you elaborate under what circumstances will this problem happen?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 05:47:12 pm »
Hi,

The HDD's you are using are Western Digital Caviar Green. These are designed to save power when you are not using them ie they shut-down to conserve power. Sometimes, when they have been idle for a while, they don't kick in properly, which is a possible reason that you could be having problems.

If it is not a secret can you post your OS as it might help with a solution.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Eric Tan

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 07:10:49 am »
No secret  ;) Am using W2K8 R2.

Regarding hypothesis that drives may have been idle... thus resulting in "Task 20 timeout", is there a way to disable the "Green" feature to validate this?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 08:37:51 am »
Hi,

I'm not familiar with Windows Server 2008 but, if it follows the same basics as Windows 7 you can  change the HDD setting to never switch off.

In 7 this is done through Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Power Options. When you finally get to the page that shows Select a Power Plan you need to click on: Change Plan Settings (which opens another window) and then click on Change Advanced Power Settings. Once This Window opens you can make changes to the Hard Disk Settings. You will need to type in "Never" instead of a figure under the heading "Turn Hard Disk Off"

Hope this helps

Eric Tan

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 01:45:41 pm »
Hi,

I'm not familiar with Windows Server 2008 but, if it follows the same basics as Windows 7 you can  change the HDD setting to never switch off.

In 7 this is done through Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Power Options. When you finally get to the page that shows Select a Power Plan you need to click on: Change Plan Settings (which opens another window) and then click on Change Advanced Power Settings. Once This Window opens you can make changes to the Hard Disk Settings. You will need to type in "Never" instead of a figure under the heading "Turn Hard Disk Off"

Hope this helps

I've checked and found that the Power Settings for Hard Disk are already set to "Never". Any other ideas, anyone?