Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R (3 Questions)

GA-X58A-UD3R (3 Questions)
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:15:48 pm »
Hey guys, as a long time fan of ASUS I decided to try out a new MOBO this round & go with the Gigabyte brand.  I just had 3 quick questions that I'm hoping you folks could help me with.  

1. What brand of memory seems to be the MOST STABLE for this board? I still need to purchase RAM no more than 6GB please.

2. Is their an overclocking guide on this site that I can follow to O/C my processor i7 930?  I wont be doing memory really just the proc.  I'm not a fan of "O/S based overclocking".  

3. Does this board do "auto OC" in the bios & therefore I shouldn't need to mess with the Bios settings?  I dont OC much usually just a little so if the board has some type of new technology that does it for you or makes it easy that would be great.  

Oh and yes I'm using an aftermarket cooler!  :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:17:52 pm by Techie714 »

venganza

• Pics of my junk
Re: GA-X58A-UD3R (3 Questions)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:36:35 pm »
Hey guys, as a long time fan of ASUS I decided to try out a new MOBO this round & go with the Gigabyte brand.  I just had 3 quick questions that I'm hoping you folks could help me with.  

1. What brand of memory seems to be the MOST STABLE for this board? I still need to purchase RAM no more than 6GB please.

You can of course check the QVL, however that is only a rough guide, and board makers almost never update much beyond release.

Here in Australia, most of the guys use Corsair, G-Skill and Kingston (since these are widely available), but to be honest, I have not heard of any brand/model specifically which has issues with the UD3R lately.

2. Is their an overclocking guide on this site that I can follow to O/C my processor i7 930?  I wont be doing memory really just the proc.  I'm not a fan of "O/S based overclocking".

Just Google, there is tons of stuff :)

Remember it isn't paint by numbers, that just never works.

If you like I can give some figures at random, take this for example that a mate of mine used just the other day which is fine for 4ghz on his machine, but probably not on yours hehe.

Clock ratio: 21x
Intel turbo boost: enabled
HT: enabled
QPI clock ratio: x36
Uncore clock ratio: at least 2x ram, so 16, most stable is usually 2x +1 = 17x Performance enhance: standard
Memory multiplier: 8x or 10x
Memory frequency: 1600 or 2000 depending on SPD.
Memory timing: 9-9-9-24

Loadline calibration: disabled
CPU Vcore: 1.30v-1.35v should hopefully get you posting at 4GHz
QPI/VTT Voltage: 1.30v-1.35v (should be enough for 3.3k-3.6k Uncore, maybe 1.40v)
CPU PLL: 1.80v may need a bump 1.84v

PCIE: 1.50v (1.60v is safe if it needs a little extra to cope)
QPI PLL: 1.20v (maybe 1.3v, AUTO is fine too)
IOH Core:1.14v-1.3v
ICH I/O: 1.50v
ICH Core:1.14v-1.2v (More than 1.2v only needed for extreme tweaking or if you have a lot of drives connected + a huge overclock)

DRAM Voltage 1.60v-1.65v  

Remember, binning of your chip, cooling and a ton of other factors come into play. Each and every system has its own finite limits, best you can do is study the theory and explore your systems potential. With 775 sockets it was easy, but now QPI and the inter-relationships between things make it a trifle more complex and subtle.

Just Google about, you find all the info you need (and more than you ever wanted besides)

3. Does this board do "auto OC" in the bios & therefore I shouldn't need to mess with the Bios settings?  I dont OC much usually just a little so if the board has some type of new technology that does it for you or makes it easy that would be great.

You need to set all the parameters yourself, if that is too much fuss, use EasyTune and such.

Actually runn3R announced that "OC Hotkey" technology will be implemented in a few weeks in GA utils, which may be very helpful for you, see here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2089.0.html

I prefer to do everything in BIOS too, but this new stuff does sound intriguing, and I was speaking on the phone to dinos22 just the other day (a many times world record holder in over clocking circles and GA employee) and he was telling me he would have no hessitation using "OC Hotkey" in competition benchmarking, which sure surprised me... Food for thought no?  

Oh and yes I'm using an aftermarket cooler!  :)

A good one I trust :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:38:12 pm by venganza »
Intel i7 930 - Venomous-X - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 - EVGA GTX480 - 12gb (6x2gb) OCZ Platinum - Enermax Revolution85+ 1250w - TT Xaser 4000 VI - G-Skill Falcon II 64gb + 7 HDD's - Razer Lachesis+ExactMat - Saitek Eclipse II - LG L246WHX 24" BenQ 24".

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 03:26:02 am »
Thank you for the in depth reply venganza that was very informative.  I'm hoping others will post to this thread as well. 

kangoo

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 04:28:14 am »
have a look at this section: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/board,21.0.html, a lot of people with OC experience there

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 09:58:02 am »
To be fair VenGanZa has covered this query in depth and is about as full an answer as you could expect considering that all board/cpu/memory are different even when they are supposedly of the same specs. As he said it is an art not a science and a lot of the time it is just "suck it and see". There are many helpfull tools to make it easier and to test your setup once you have made some changes. I would recommend that you read this thread:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,420.0.html
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB