Official GIGABYTE Forum

can anyone help with installing a sata drive on xp 64 bit on g31m-es2l board

can anone help with installing a sata drive on xp 64bit on g31m-es2l board i have looked on the site cant seem to find the right one does anyone know where i can find the correct driver for the board and  has anyone else encountered the same problem,appreciate any help anyone can give

tommie

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi,
Not sure as to your exact problem as you don't specify what it is.

If you have installed a SATA drive and it is not being recognized in BIOS you will need to configure BIOS. The settings for this will depend on your other HDD's & DVD/CD drives.

If you are trying to install the OS then you shouldn't need any drivers if the HDD is being seen correctly.

Could you post a few more details as to your system specs,  mobo rev. number and also what it is you are trying to do.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:12:15 pm by absic115 »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

problem is that windows setup  does not see the drive so i am not able to install xp 64 bit, gigabyte g31m-es2l motherboard rev 1.1 as i am trying to install windows on the drive i can see in the bios there is a drive but its not named as  its a maxtor  drive i am trying to install windows on there allso can a bios update help

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi,

From what you are saying, the reason that you can't load windows is that your Hard drive isn't being recognized properly in BIOS.

Have you checked the On-Chip SATA mode in BIOS?
If not you can find it under Integrated Peripherals. Make sure that you have On-Chip Primary PCI IDE set to [ENABLED] and the On-Chip SATA Mode set to [AUTO]. If you are not using any PATA drives you can safely set the On-Chip SATA Mode to [ENHANCED]

Not sure if BIOS update will help but current version is F10: You can download it from here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2889&dl=1#dl

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

yes both on chip primary and secondary pci ide are set to enabled do u know wher i can get the drivers for my board,also message i get is setup did not find any hard dsik drives installed in your computer make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly  connected to your computer and that any disk related configuration  is correct.this may invole running a manufacturer supplied diagnostic set up program
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 03:27:12 pm by tommie22 »

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi,

All drivers and latest BIOS can be found using the link I previously posted. However that will not solve your problem as there are no drivers needed.

Can you give more details as to your new SATA hard drive as all you say is it's a Maxtor. Can you post details for this and your other hardware? There are occassionally problem if you are trying to install the OS onto a "Green" or "Energy Saving" Drive.
Sometimes the problem of installing Windows onto a new hard drive can be solved if you format the drive in another PC. Is this possible for you to do?

maxtor diamond 22max stm3500320as  celeron e1400 cpu am using the onboard graphics,i just thought the problem was with the drivers for the sata controllers

Badbonji

Is there any other drive plugged in? If so, try unplugging them all (I cannot install onto a RAID array when my external USB Hard drive is plugged in).
Core i7 965 @ 4.35Ghz 1.37Vcore
6Gb G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3 @ 1740Mhz 8-8-8-20 1T
HIS HD5970 @ 800/1100
Gigabyte Extreme X58
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty
256GB M4 + 150GB Raptor
EK Supreme HF/GTX480/MCP655/EK Res :D

only one drive plugged in

absic

• Bandcamp
just thought the problem was with the drivers for the sata controllers

Checking through your Mobo manual there is no need to install drivers prior to Windows. Hence the fact that you can't find any on the Gigabyte Website, they're not needed.

When you boot your PC is the Hard drive showing at the POST screen stage? If you can't see it here you you will not be able to load anything as it is not being recognized by BIOS.

If it is being seen and the POST screen tells you that you have a Maxtor Hard-drive then the problem is either with the BIOS settings or the hard drive itself. If you are certain that your BIOS settings are correct, try formatting the new hard drive on another PC (if possible) as this can sometimes help.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Make sure the leads to your hard drive are both plugged in properly at each end. If you have any doubts about the cables try changing them for new ones.
Clear your CMOS and load "Setup Defaults", F10 and then reboot
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
If you are still having issues with installing onto this drive you could try updating the Firmware.

Here's a link for the Seagate site download: http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207951&Hilite=

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
The problem is that if it isn't even recognised by the BIOS how is he even going to update the firmware? Maybe he could use another computer to see if it is any different.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
Ah, he must be getting on-line somehow to start this thread and I have already suggested trying to format the HDD in another machine, to which there has, as yet, been no response.

It's just another option that might help resolve the problem if he can access another PC.

ATB

sorry about that guys been at a friends house ,i checked the cables on the drive plug in another hard drive cable to the drive and i saw it on the posting screen and in teh bios  but the strange thing i notice is that the hard drive dissapearing  and i notice that the dvd rw is doing the same thing as i cant see that  in the bios if i plug out the cable and plug in back it starts to work but only for a short time think maybe the board does anyone know of a bootable Diagnostic  tool to test the board