Official GIGABYTE Forum

Moving my C: drive to my new Gigabyte mobo! need advice

kskwerl

Moving my C: drive to my new Gigabyte mobo! need advice
« on: July 09, 2010, 07:47:39 am »
Hey everyone, I'm preparing to get my new Gigabyte motherboard. It will be my first Gigabyte and I'm really excited, i've heard nothing but great things. Ok so I have a foxconn right now and I'm worried about transferring my C: drive (windows 7) to the new motherboard. Is all I have to do plug in into the new mobo via sata cable? I don't know if this information matters but I'm going from a phenom 9850 to a phenom II x6, Anyway...if you guys new anymore information just let me know. Oh yea, the harddrive is a 500 GB WD cavier black.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Moving my C: drive to my new Gigabyte mobo! need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 07:52:29 am »
The first thing to make sure of is the you have the right BIOS in place to support the new processor. So check this first.
Next physically installing the drive is easy. Just put it in the  drive bay and connect it up to whichever motherboard SATA port you want to use. Then connect the power cable and it is done. You will then have to wipe the drive and re-install your OS.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:32:52 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

kskwerl

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 07:57:27 am »
The first thing to make sure of is the you have the right BIOS in place to support the new processor. So check this first.
Nextphysically installing the drive is easy. Just put it in the  drive bay and connect it up to whichever motherboard SATA port you want to use. Then connect the power cable and it is done. You will then have to wipe the drive and re-install your OS.

Thank you, very much. The one Gigabyte motherboard that I ordered in the GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX and it says it supports the new phenom.

kskwerl

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 12:36:57 am »
So right now I have my C: drive connected to my foxconn and when I get my ram I want to switch the motherboard/ram/cpu etc. Can I just move my C: drive over to the gigabyte and everything will be fine my OS will be exactly the same and I won't have to reinstall the OS? I really don't want to reinstall I have so many programs I use and it's going to be a pain. Can anyone point me in the right direction or advise me on what I should do?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 06:25:31 am »
Hi,
moving the C drive in the why that you want is not a good idea. I know it would be nice and easy and you could do that, but it will most probably cause you lots of problems and no end of grief.

The first big issue would be that your new Gigabyte board will need to have its own drivers installed.

Because you are re-configuring your other PC components, Windows could well need to be re-activated as it is possible it may deem you are trying to install it onto a 2nd machine.

When replacing a major component, like your motherboard, it is always best to start over and re-install everything. If there are any problems it is easier to check back, if an error occurs, as you will know what the last driver or piece of software was that you installed.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 10:32:39 am »
Next physically installing the drive is easy. Just put it in the  drive bay and connect it up to whichever motherboard SATA port you want to use. Then connect the power cable and it is done. You will then have to wipe the drive and re-install your OS.
Sorry, maybe i gave you the wrong idea. I understood that you just wanted advice on physically installing the drive, I didn't think you weren't going to do a clean install of the operating system once installed.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB