Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-880GA-UD3H randomly unlocking cores?

koder

GA-880GA-UD3H randomly unlocking cores?
« on: August 08, 2010, 04:58:06 am »
I just built a system with a GA-880GA-UD3H and a Phenom II X2. When I enable the core unlocking, it posts as X2 about half of the time and X4 the rest of the time. The system seems rock solid with all four cores enabled (tested with Prime95 torture etc).

So this begs the question... Is this a sign of some sort of weakness in the CPU, or could the motherboard be to blame? And yes, I know I paid for a dual core, so that's all I deserve... ;) It's just that all four cores DO seem to work, so it'd be nice if I could use them EVERY time. :)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-880GA-UD3H randomly unlocking cores?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:15:18 am »
Ah, there's the rub. Is it the CPU or is it the board?

To be totally honest it's more likely to be the CPU than the motherboard and I have come across several instances where an unlocked CPU exhibits this type of behaviour. Just one of the reasons the cores are locked during QA testing by AMD.

You might not be able to get both of the "extra" cores to unlock successfully. Have you tried just unlocking one and seeing what happens.  Of course, you might have to play around a bit to find out which of the "locked" cores is the most reliable but that's part of the fun. And, of course, an X3 is still better than an X2.

Another option would be to try a slight increase in power to the unlocked CPU as this can often help improve stability. But be careful if trying this, as extra voltage through the CPU means extra heat and if you are using the stock cooler you won't have too much headroom in that area to play with.

The only real problem with the motherboard would be the BIOS and, if you are not running the latest version it might be worthwhile updating to that. But again, I must add a note of caution, flashing BIOS could make things worse, so be prepared to go back to your current version if you need to.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

koder

Re: GA-880GA-UD3H randomly unlocking cores?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 05:37:55 am »
Yep, I've already updated to the latest BIOS, but that didn't change anything. I'm not sure that the X3 idea is going to work, because when it's in "X2 mode" I only see the two cores as available to choose from, but I'll try disabling one core when it's in X4 mode and see what that does. Also, the voltage thing definitely sounds like it's worth a try. Thanks! :)