Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD9 (Boot Problem)

GA-X58A-UD9 (Boot Problem)
« on: August 20, 2010, 08:00:03 pm »
Hi everybody

Gonna need some more help Mr.Mantis
After my issue with the case (Obsidian 800D series Corsair case) i finally got it fitted and sits perfectly on the case now, but ive reached another brick wall so to speak

It wont boot, everything is connected, even while stripped the board displays a green and yellow light to the right side of the memory slots, i looked in the manual and it says it has to do with DDR Voltage,  its not showing any lights for the CPU (which i understand is correct for correct voltages) but when i turn on the power the CPU fan doesnt move, neither does any of the three case/system fans, no noise, no nothing, just those two lights (oh and the light within the onboard power button)

I believe this will be the first time ive ever had this sort of issue with a GB board

Spec:
CPU- Intel i7 Extreme 6core 980X (heatsink on this thing is massive and its stock lol)
MB  - ........ really?
Ram- Corsair 1333mhz 1.5V 6gig (3x 2gig) XMS3 heatspread CL9 (9-9-9-24) PC3-10600
Graphics - Nvidia GF 8800 GTX (will be exchanged at a later date to a pair of 480's
PSU - CoolMaster Silent ProM 1000W

Symtoms:
Orange & Green (DDR Voltage) LED flashes on and then off after PSU is switched on, then
Green and Yellow LED lights present right side of ram slots (DDR Voltage) after power button is pushed
CPU fan & SYS fans refuse to move
No noise (even with system speaker inserted)

Suspected:
With a power meter inserted into the 24 atx power connection, gave no reading except the pin 16, throughout the connector, same with the dual 8 pin connectors for the top left of the board, should i be getting voltage readings from the PSU when it is disconnected from the board (But is still connected to the mains and switched on) i only find a 3.1 volt reading on pin 16
(After investigation into pin 16, i have discovered that it is the "PS_ON" wire, im unsure if this eliminates the power supply as the lead suspect so it is being kept here)

Any saggestions are very welcome as to the culprit of this little mishap
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:21:33 pm by VegetaFH1 »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-X58A-UD9 (Boot Problem)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 08:59:41 pm »
Ok, well the first step is to check the PSU( and it's no good shouting at the monitor saying I've just done that). Check out this link it will explain it better than me rambling on for ages. When you have tested it post again.

http://www.corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=1358543

As you now know the only voltage that should be present when the PSU is disconnected from the motherboard is the 3v switching circuit. Once connected to any ground wire(black) it should turn on the PSU and any load connected to it. If it does then the PSU is fine.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:40:23 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 12:13:02 am »
That has been Extremely informative, Thank you Mantis
The little trick of shorting the PS_ON is a nice way to go about it

PSU Fan spun up (not that fast but still did) aswell as a external 4pin molex fan
All voltages on the ATX 24pin and the 2 sets of 8pin connectors are present and accounted for
I believe it is now safe to eliminate the PSU as any sort of suspect in this problem

This has opened up afew more options however, and has made me very curious as to the problem

Quick question Mr.Mantis, Does the UD9 board have a feature present that if an input device is not connected, the board will not tell the PSU to send in more power? (in order to start up)

(I shall be back in the morning as my endevours have taken their toll on my mind, good night)

Fatman

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 01:36:22 am »
I would take the board out of the case and see if it will boot on a phone book or something else just to rule the board shorting on the case somewhere. Firstly did you (or even Could you) go into bios and load optimised defaults? Not failsafe default. Then try boot.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 08:55:41 am »
That has been Extremely informative, Thank you Mantis
The little trick of shorting the PS_ON is a nice way to go about it
I believe it is now safe to eliminate the PSU as any sort of suspect in this problem
This has opened up afew more options however, and has made me very curious as to the problem
Quick question Mr.Mantis, Does the UD9 board have a feature present that if an input device is not connected, the board will not tell the PSU to send in more power? (in order to start up)

No problem I thought it would be easier than me trying to explain it on the forum. The board should power up even if there is nothing but the processor and heatsink/fan assembly on it. I would advise putting the buzzer on also as it can be very usefull in the faultfinding process.

The next to do is as I have just said and also connnect the PSU cables to the motherboard only. So what you should have now is a very barebones system. You can do this in or out of the case. Personally I tend to test everything outside the case first as it is easier to get at and there is no risk of any shorts. But your choice.

What happens when you try to power up? Obvioiusly it wont POST but it should try.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:56:35 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 10:21:22 am »
Just double checking exactly what i need plugged into the board
24 pin ATX power
2x 8 pins
No ram
No graphics
Just CPU
and nothing else, so its completely bare?

Since im an old techie head ive worked on many mechines but nothing quite like this, im back from the old old days where the MicroSystems BBC Owl ruled over the market
Now if memory serves, what should happen is, board boots, cpu fan spins, power supply spins and should atleast get as far as the post (PC speakers help with the beeps)
Please correct me if im wrong
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:27:55 am by VegetaFH1 »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 10:22:55 am »
That's right but you would also benefit from the buzzer being attached so that you can hear the POST beeps, if any!
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 11:02:41 am »
absic is quite right I would also advise attaching the buzzer and then try to boot. Post back with the responses.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 11:17:09 am »
Ahhh ha
"Remove the board and test outside the case"
The first thing that was spoted, can anybody take a wild guess? now remember, the case is modded to force it to fit this board so its technically not sitting on its original screw holes

You know the threaded bridges you screw into the case and then sit your board on top of them, well 3 of em were sticking right into the board

But we must continue with this thread, as ive now gotten sound from the beeper and the CPU fan has started spinning
the board is fine from what i can tell it was just shorting off the case, however i have yet to stick it back in the case as i believe testing it outside will be easier

PSU - Fine
Board - Seems Fine
Ram - Unknown
CPU - Unknown
Graphics - Unknown

Symtoms:
Continues stream of noise from PC speaker / Beeper immidiatly after power button is pushed (the onboard power button)
Immidate start up
Green, Yellow and Red LED's present to the top right side of ram slots (a seperate set of LED's to the ones before, which were located to the bottum right side of the ram slots)

I'll await a responce
This is most interesting to me, ive never come across an issue like this in 20 plus years of being a techie

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 11:21:43 am »
What this is your first time youve come across a short! :o ( I forgot only 20 years that just about makes you a noob!)
The noises are exactly what you would expect because of the no memory situation.
Well next it is just a case of rebuilding the computer bit by bit and testing as you go. Memory next. Then GPU and finally drives.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:28:01 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 11:59:53 am »
I have to admit Mantis, i have been out of the running for quite awhile, so i would most definatly be a newbie again, maybe not a noob, and ye first time seeing a short lol (well, atleast one thats this bad, ive seen PSU's self destruct due to an inbuilt flaw)

She posted, ram inserted and GPU not inserted, is that normal for this board? i would have thought if it doesnt have onboard graphics then it shouldnt post without a GPU inserted

Also fitted most of the parts back into the case and still posted (just without graphics)

I believe we may be sorted here, now whats left is as you say mantis, going bit by bit and rebuilding, making sure nothing is wrong

Thank you very much everybody, you all played your role in helping out
Dark Mantis
Absic
Fatman

I really do appreciate all the help, getting me back into the swing of things :)
I will make one final post when the computer is up and running totaly (Unless something else desides to hit the fan)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 12:02:59 pm »
Pleased you now seem to be on the right track. Hopefully no more glitches and everything will be fine.

Pleased to help, if only in a small way, it's what the Forum is here for and it is sometimes a little quicker than GTS.  ;)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 12:07:46 pm »
Yes I would like to mirror absics's sentiments. It is always a pleasure to help someone that is having trouble.

I will make one final post when the computer is up and running totaly (Unless something else desides to hit the fan)

Sorry we don't allow any sh!t on this forum  ;D ;D ;D
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Fatman

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 02:21:19 pm »
Glad you getting it sorted. Dark Mantis and absic are great advice on these boards and Gigabyte are lucky for their expertise ;D

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 07:06:12 pm »
Everything is up and running now :D
Just installing drivers now after the windows 7 installation (which i kid you not, took all of 5 mins)

Everything is connected right, humming away and no warnings or alerts (infact there was one alert)
While trying to change the cmos a big red box came up and said that the computer had a failed boot beforehand and the H/W status may not be the same as stated
Im unsure if this is just me nitpicking but ill look into it more, when i tryed to bomb out of cmos my pc speaker made a massive screech sound (like it was pretty loud) but after it restarted i went back into cmos and the warning did pop up, but i didnt get the screech a second time
Its odd, ill see how it goes but i dont believe it is anything to worry about

Again i must say thank you to you Mr.Mantis, you have been a great help to me and i wish you all the best, both here and in life

On a kind of seperate note i wish to make a request of the Forum Administrator and/or Moderation Team
My request is pretty simple infact, i know im not on the forums very long and that my words may be disgarded as a stranger rambling on, but
I would want the user known as "Dark Mantis" to become a Forum Moderator

From what i can already tell on the forums, Mr.Mantis has helped alot of people, not just myself
He Holds himself in a high degree of maturity and is a goldmine of knowledge, i believe it to be in the best interest of the forums
If im to be perfectly honest, GigaByte would be crazy to let this person go

Ive been out of the loop in regards to computers for awhile now, and in a very short period of time Mr.Mantis has gotten me back on track and thought me afew new tricks

I wish to make this a formal request for the promotion of this User
Not only for the help he gives others on this forum but also for the help he gives Gigabyte
I also believe he conducts himself in a manner which befits the name Gigabyte, he can joke around with the folks on the forum but when its time to get serious about an issue then he knows to draw the line and get down to work, this tells me he is able to handle the responsibility of being a Forum Moderator

Thank you for listening to my issues and my request

With Respect,
VegetaFH1