Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55A-UD3: No beeps - nothing

dirkt

GA-P55A-UD3: No beeps - nothing
« on: September 14, 2010, 02:13:26 am »
I ordered this MB and it was apparently DOA. When powered on with no memory there were no beeps. The CPU fan turned on then immediately shut down. Then turned on again. And off. On. Off. On... All of the trace lights were on when the fan was running. With different power supplies it acts the same way. The processor is a new Intel I5 760. I figured it was the MB and returned it and was shipped a new one. The new one behaves exactly the same way. What could be causing this?

Currently the Rev 2.0 MB is not in a case, with just the Corsair 750 PS, the CPU and CPU fan installed. And the same behavior as described above.

Fatman

Re: GA-P55A-UD3: No beeps - nothing
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:40:50 am »
Hook up a speaker to the mobo, put in a ram module, video card and see if it will post.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:42:40 am by Fatman »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:49:33 am »
What BIOS version are you running at present?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

dirkt

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:38:21 am »
I neglected to say that I had performed tests with memory and video installed and this had made no difference on the first board. I repeated them this morning on the second and again saw no change. There is a MB speaker in the setup I am using. I don't know what the BIOS version is since is has never even got to a POST.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 10:59:04 am »
You say it is already on the benchtop so that should make things quicker and easier. You do have it on something non-conductive, don't you? Connect just the CPU/Heatsink/Fan(not forgetting thermal paste), one stick of memory,buzzer and PSU and try and boot. Post what, if anything, happens.

One more thought I just noticed that you are in the USofA does your PSU have a power selector switch on it if so check that it's set to 120v.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:12:50 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:48:06 pm »
The motherboard will not post or beep without a CPU and memory installed, just FYI.

Please be sure you have the memory in the correct slots, the white ones.  If you are trying the board with no memory this is normal, you will need memory to do anything with the motherboard.

1Day

• Bencher
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 04:49:57 pm »
Would you try this for me please.

First remove all the stuff from your motherboard.
Yes all of it, including all the power connectors from the PSU, the CPU itself and all harddrives ram the works.
There must be nothing in or on the motherboard, just like when it came out of the antistatic bag.
Once all is removed then take out the battery on the motherboard. It comes out very easily with a firm push and twist with a finger.
Then clear your bios with the battery out.
Leave the battery out for 30 minutes before popping it back in.

Once that has passed then use the manual to methodically install your bits and pieces.
Lay the motherboard on a non-conductive surface. Preferably one that is static free too, static is a killer :(

I know you are familiar with how to build a PC but humour me please and could you install the components in this order.
CPU first.
Then the ram use the white channels please.
Followed by the CPU cooler.
Now the HDD
Connect the CPU cooler fan and all the system fans you will be running.
Mouse and Keyboard - it is not needed to put the network cable in but you can it should make no difference at all.
Then finally the Graphic card, if the card needs a power connector make sure it is in all the way and secure.

Only now do we start with the power connectors as they are the last to connect.

And do not forget the 12v connector up next to the mouse and keyboard connectors. It needs an 8 pin connector. Your PSU should be fine I am sure.

Now power up and all should be fine.

If not then I am pretty sure you will post back here, and we can take it one step at a time.

The chance that you have two boards with the same problem are nearly zero.

“In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.”

John von Neumann

dirkt

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 01:41:59 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, I am breadboarding on a non-conductive surface. The PS (Corsair 750) is 120v. Just to cover all my bases I pulled everything off the board. Reset the CMOS. Reinstalled everything in the order 1Day suggested up to and including the video card. Same thing. I am flummoxed. I have been over and over the process I used to put everything together and don't see any problems (but I admit this is a just a hobby.) Could this be a CPU problem? 

Fatman

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 03:40:08 am »
I would try another PSU just to rule out that. Have you checked the pins in the cpu socket just to make sure you haven't by any chance bent one or more??? long shot I know but really give it a good look.........

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 07:43:01 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, I am breadboarding on a non-conductive surface. The PS (Corsair 750) is 120v. Just to cover all my bases I pulled everything off the board. Reset the CMOS. Reinstalled everything in the order 1Day suggested up to and including the video card. Same thing. I am flummoxed. I have been over and over the process I used to put everything together and don't see any problems (but I admit this is a just a hobby.) Could this be a CPU problem?  

Yes it is possible. Click on this link and follow the guide to test it. How to jump start a PSU video http://www.corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=1358543
If that doesn't do the job then take some macro photos of the CPU socket so we can check the pins for you. A lot of times people don't think their pins are bent when they are really.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:07:19 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:41:33 am »
I would try another PSU just to rule out that. Have you checked the pins in the cpu socket just to make sure you haven't by any chance bent one or more??? long shot I know but really give it a good look.........

I agree, a single bent pin can cause the system to not start at all, partially start, ect as you are experiancing.   If you are not sure about your socket pins please take a few images for us to look at, use Macro on the camera if possible, and a well lit room.

1Day

• Bencher
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:32:49 am »
Sorry to hear that you still have a problem.

What now needs to happen is to determine where the point of origin of your problem is.

How we will do that is by eliminating variables. So if you have a good mate who lives near by who has a similar set up. CPU, Ram and stuff like that. You have two options.

Either you take your components over to your mates place and test them on his working motherboard. I would suggest that way as it is the quickest. It is important to take all of the bits and pieces. PSU included.

Or you borrow all of his components and test them out on your board. You can see why the former option is so much easier. And keeps friends happier too.

Now one of two things is going to happen. Will work or will not work. If all your bits and bobs do work then unbelievable as it may sound your board is the issue. Lightning strikes twice.  :) Or you will find that it might be a single component of yours and the set up does not work. You then need to swap out one by one the components until you can isolate which is the problematic component. I had a dead ram stick that caused similar problems as those you mentioned. Took me a while to work out that was the problem but got there in the end.

Regards
“In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.”

John von Neumann

dirkt

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 12:09:15 am »
I tested the PSU last night successfully. I am attaching some images for your perusal.

dirkt

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 12:10:22 am »
Image 2.

dirkt

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 12:11:12 am »
Image 3.