Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55A-UD4P (rev2.0) MB & GV-NX86T512H Video - Can I install to 8x slot only?

brinkerz

Hi all,

Advanced apologies for what may be a blinding obvious question for those in the know.

Short version is, I've just bought the MB / have had the VC for a while and don't see any reason to move it on.
There is a fitting on the CPU side of the VC that clashes with the heatsink on the Northbridge.

I have fitted the VC to the 8x slot further down the board (and loosing a pci slot in the process) but it does not appear to playing ball - i.e. no picture, MB won't post.

So questions are 1) When using only 1 VC, must it be installed to the 16x slot only? 2) If Yes to Q1 and thus my VC cannot be used, does anyone have any recommendations of a VC for the UD4P board please? (No gaming - love my music videos and intermediate editing learning curve)

Cheers,
Brinkerz.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi there,

My understanding is that you should be able to use either of the PCIE slots for your graphics card and you are not limited to using the 1st one.

By using the 2nd slot your Graphics card will only run at X8 rather than X16 and you need to set the Init Display First to PEG2 in BIOS under the Advanced BIOS Features. That said, if you can't see the BIOS screen then how can you change it?

It would help if you could post back with a few more details such as, the make of Graphic Card (Ooops you've mentioned that already, my bad!), RAM, PSU, Processor and other components that you are using as the system not posting could be due to other things and the more info you can provide the easier it is to offer practical help.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:08:33 pm by absic115 »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

brinkerz

Hi absic,

"That said, if you can't see the BIOS screen then how can you change it?" - The definitive question!  ???

Other details as requested ....
VC - Gigabyte GV-NX86T512H
CPU - i7 870
RAM - 8G Corsair CMX8GX3M4B1333C9 8GB (4x XMS3 2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) XMS KIT, DDR3 (Compatible with MB from Corsair)
PSU - Antec EA-500D
SSD - OCZ Vertex2 from Sata 1
Storeage - 3 Western Digital disks from Sata 2,3,4

This is a new build, not previously 'run up'. (with the exception of the VC and PSU, both have worked together previously in LGA775 build.)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:13:10 pm by brinkerz »

absic

• Bandcamp
OK thanks for the details.

At first glance I would be a little concerned about your choice of PSU as 500 Watts is a bit on the low side for today's PC's.

I would suggest that, in the first instance you remove all of the HDD's and the SSD from the system and all but 1 stick of RAM. Then try BOOTING again. If you have a motherboard speaker attached are you getting any POST Beeps?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

brinkerz

At first glance I would be a little concerned about your choice of PSU as 500 Watts is a bit on the low side for today's PC's.

I too thought same and consulted a PSU calculator on Newegg which whilst I was 'in the shade' of 500w, the results implied I had room and hence I left it as is.

and all but 1 stick of RAM. Then try BOOTING again.

Given this is dual channel Ram, won't the MB have a hissy fit with only one stick OR is that the point of testing for beeping?

absic

• Bandcamp
From what you have said the PSU has been running in a previous build. Overtime the actual output can drop off so what starts out as a 500 Watt unit can in reality only be putting 450 Watts, for example. I'm not saying this is the case but it could be that the PSU is not functioning at its best.

It doesn't matter if you only install 1 stick of RAM, the system won't complain and it is often the best way of troubleshooting This is in case there is a problem with the RAM modules (even new they can be faulty). The PC, if it is going to BOOT, will do so with only 1 stick and it is more likely to do so.

The reason for listening for BEEP codes is that they can give an indication if there is a problem with the motherboard, memory, graphics card, etc.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
"That said, if you can't see the BIOS screen then how can you change it?" - The definitive question! 

That's easy just put the card in the x16 slot , boot, change BIOS setting and then save and shut down. Move card and then reboot. Job done.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
Ah DM, you really need to get some glasses.
There is a fitting on the CPU side of the VC that clashes with the heatsink on the Northbridge.
hence the card doesn't fit the 1st slot.

Also the PC isn't BOOTING at all, so no changes can be made to the BIOS at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:05:03 pm by absic115 »

brinkerz

Ooooooook - What I've established is this.

I'm a total FW. (Branding iron casting as we speak)

I hadn't switch the input on my monitor far enough to pickup the video signal.
I'm on VGA via a laptop to type now and was only switching one place when in fact I should have been switching two.
How the hell this didn't raise it's head earlier is beyond me as I (clearly thought?) had pressed the input switch on my monitor plenty of times.

Alas, no beeps - no pc speaker - but MB does_post and find all installations correctly.
Total FW .... dare I say case closed and it must be my shout.

Aside, I do hear a noise from the VC now that I've not heard before. Get in your head the sound of a socket / ratchet, now obviously electrofi that - this is the noise that can be heard when scrolling the mouse wheel or min / max windows (under Win 7). Shall I post a new thread for this?

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
If you are using as USB mouse try moving it to another slot.

hence the card doesn't fit the 1st slot.

I'm sure it can be adjusted to fit in the x16 slot. The Northbridge heatsink cover is only a thin metal plate, easilly manipulated.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:19:44 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
Easily done and also easily fixed!  ;)

OK onto the second problem. You don't say what BIOS version you are running but if it is not the latest version it might be worth updating it. You can get it from here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3435&dl=1#bios and it is F13.

I would recommend that you use QFlash for updating the BIOS and if you are not sure how to do it check out the FAQ here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

brinkerz

Easily done and also easily fixed!  ;)

You don't say what BIOS version you are running ... and it is F13.

Now that I can see (*cough*) the post screen, I can confirm I'm running F10 as shipped.
I'll do the update now.

Ref usb mouse - yes running Logitech Wave /  MX100(?) combo wirelessly - have plugged receiver into usb port located at the combo ps2 port - will select another usb port and advise.

brinkerz

Does the sound seem like this: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2861.0/topicseen.html

Now THAT's cluely providing a sound clip!

Ok, my sound isn't that - close I guess but i'd call that sound in that clip a 'buzz' where as mine is more of a 'zing' if that helps?

First noticed it tonight when doing the Win 7 score test (just for kicks) and it goes through video part - I could hear it ... then when going into Computer > properties or basicallly anywhere there seems to be 'plenty of white screen' you can hear this zing when min / max windows - sound from within pc itself, not through speakers (not tested.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:34:58 pm by brinkerz »

brinkerz

Ok, confirming bios is now at F13 - too easy.

Zinging noise still evident.
Re-ran the Win 7 score and the noise is particularly evident when running the phases of Direct 3D (9 & 10) Texture Load Assessment and ALU Assessment. This may mean something to somebody?

My hunch is the VC is for whatever reason now not happy with its new home in the UD4P.