Official GIGABYTE Forum

M57SLI-S4 rev 2.0 BIOS problems

Tori8

M57SLI-S4 rev 2.0 BIOS problems
« on: October 11, 2010, 02:33:36 pm »
Hello fellow forum members,

I have some problems with my old M57SLI-S4 rev 2.0 mobo.
My configuration is:
- M57SLI-S4 rev 2.0
- Athlon64 X2 6000+ (Windsor, 125W TDP)
- 4x1 GB PQI DDR2-800
- Gainward GF 8800 GT Golden Sample 512MB
- Chieftec 500W PSU
- SATA devices: 750G Seagate, 250G Samsung, 160G Samsung
- USB devices: Genius budget keyboard, Razer Lachesis mouse, Hama webcam

My problem is the following:
After turning on the machine, before the video BIOS initializes, there is a huge pause (7-8 sec). The VGA's fan is spinning like a tornado, the screen is blank. After that, the system starts to boot, video BIOS displays some information, and the VGA fan spins down, so it isn't loud anymore. After the BIOS did it's job (POST, etc.) and starts to boot the OS, there is also a huge pause after the "Verifying DMI pool data ... Update Success" (7-8 sec again), and then Windows starts normally. The whole machine is working like it should, the only problem is this 2 long pauses during booting, and the "Update Success" message, I don't really understand it, it always says that during booting, altough I didn't modify anything in BIOS.
I've had the latest official BIOS (FHL). I did some google searches, and found out there is a FHM bios floating around, originally from Gigabyte customer support. I managed to take my hands on it, flashed it to my mobo, but my problem still persists.

Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:11:43 pm by Tori8 »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: M57SLI-S4 rev 2.0 BIOS problems
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:58:11 am »
Hi there,

From what you are saying I don't think there is a problem although it is annoying. I am running a 4850X2 Graphics card and at BOOT the fans spin up at full power for several seconds before falling back to their normal idle speed.

The "Verifying DMI Pool Data..... Update Success" message is, once again, correct but annoying. On other motherboards this message has been removed by a BIOS update but, being honest, as the last "official" BIOS update for your board was nearly a year ago, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for any more updates.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.