Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA 890fxa UD5 HDMI weirdie???

GA 890fxa UD5 HDMI weirdie???
« on: October 31, 2010, 02:21:18 pm »
Hi Guys,

Installed my new system running W7 64. ( Components below) To the motherboard I fitted a ATI Radeon HD5770 graphics card.
I installed it using a LG 19 inch TFT via a DVI cable. Picture was full screen as was the boot info from the motherboard. However, the TFT just died and decided to connect the monitor I bought for the new system using a HDMI cable. It is still being used on old system at present until I transfer all our stuff over and using it via a DVI cable.
The weird part is that now the picture does not fill the screen, although the resolution is 1920 x 1080. There is a one inch border around the picture. This is the same on the booting info from the motherboard. Confused as to  is the problem with a setting on the motherboard. Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

David

System:

Motherboard                 GA 890FXA-UD5
Processor                      AMD Phenom II x6 3.2GHz
Graphics                        ATi Radeon HD5770
Sound                            CreativeLabs SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty professional
Monitor                          Acer T230H touch screen
Disc drives                     Seagate Barracuda's

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA 890fxa UD5 HDMI weirdie???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 10:18:29 am »
Hi there,

Sorry but I don't have an answer for this however there have been several instances of other users encountering the same issue so, you're not alone.

I'm a bit confused by your post are you running the ACER Touch screen Monitor via an HDMI or a DVI cable?
If you are using a DVI Cable is it using an HDMI Adaptor?

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 01:32:01 pm »
Hi absic,

Sorry about the confusion, I tried using both. With the DVI cable I got full screen, with the HDMI I got a one inch border around it.
However, you might be interested in how I sorted out the problem.
It is all due to ATI, who manufacture the graphics cards. If you use a HDMI cable with a ATI graphics card, ATI assumes you will be connecting up to a TV screen. TV's have a lot of overscan, so ATI reduce this to 85%. When it therfore connects to a TV there is no overscan and you see full screen pictures.
Now, connect that HDMI cable to a pc monitor and what do you get? You get 85% screen, which equates to about a one inch border arond the displayed desktop. To get over this problem you need to instal ATI Catalyst. I would suggest you download it from the ATI/AMD website as the copy you get from the maker of the card is restricted on what options are made available, from ATI you get everything. Using Catalyst, you highlight the monitor and select "configure". Move the overscan slider to 0 and the screen then goes to 100%.
If you want, I can put the full procedure down for you, step by step.

Regards,

David

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 01:39:31 pm »
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure it will help other user's faced with the same problem.

I kind of figured that it was a configuration issue rather than a hardware problem but as I haven't tried linking my PC to an HDMI Monitor or TV Screen I haven't played around with it.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.