Change boot drive from non Raid to Raid
« on: November 08, 2010, 01:48:10 am »
Hi,

Here is my configuration :
MB :GA-X58A-UD7(rev. 2.0)
boot drive on port SATA2_0 : C300 SDD 128G - non Raid
second drive on port SATA2_2 : SG 2T - non Raid
drive 3 to 5 op port SATA2_3 to 5  : WD 2T - Raid 5

I would like to expend my configuration with a second SDD C300 on port 1 and have the 2 x C300 on raid 0.
For that I think that my existing C300 will be re-format.
Therefore I am looking for a way to backup my window 7 installation to be able to recover it after raid configuration.
While a clone from Ghost or True Image will be able to be recovered on the raid 0 and then bootable as primary drive ?

Do you have any suggestion to help me do that without having to re-install windows 7.

Another question : will the TRIM will be passed  by the ICH10 on the 2 SDD configured in RAID 0? If not is it really advised? I read different articules on the write /read speed performance improvement in Raid 0 but I don't know if it i really safe.

cheers

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:41:09 am by ricobelo »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Change boot drive from non Raid to Raid
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:04:01 am »
Firstly I feel that I should point out I am in no way an expert on RAID arrays but from what I do know I don't think the Intel ICH10R southbridge ports will be able to supply enough bandwidth to enable your pair of Crucial C300 SSDs to run to their full potential in a RAID0 array as they are SATA3 and therefore will be hobbled by the SATA2 ports. Even so these are your best bet for the RAID disks.

I am not sure but I don't think it is possible to make a backup of your single drive and then transfer it to a RAID0 configured setup.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 12:38:28 pm »
It can be done for sure, a few ways!!  I'll tell you more once I know more about your install.

Is your current install aligned?  Do you have room on your third drive for a complete backup of your current OS install on the single C300?

TRIM will not function in RAID, you will have to rely on GC which works great, or break the array once a month or whenever and TRIM the drives.

If you would like to see a good comparison of RAID V.s Single drives check out my review on the C300
http://forums.tweaktown.com/storage-devices-methods/41812-crucial-realssd-c300-128gb-single-vs-raid-w-marvell-ich10r-hpt-rr-640-review.html

ricobelo

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 02:36:08 pm »
Hi ,

I am not yet sure about the final configuration for the port allocation, but tell me what you think :

SATA2_0 - C300 SSD 128G -> Raid 0
SATA2_1 - C300 SSD 128G -> Raid 0
SATA2_2 - DVD burner
SATA2_3 - WD 2T -> Raid 5
SATA2_4 - WD 2T -> Raid 5
SATA2_5 - WD 2T -> Raid 5
GSATA_6 - WD velociraptor SATA3
GSATA_7 - SG 2T SATA3
SATA2_8 - eSATA
SATA2_9 - eSATA

I don't understand whta you mean by "aligned".
I have definitely some place to backup my C300 data.

If I need to break my Raid 0 often, I will reserve 250 G somewhere to backup all my data on Raid 0 for the duration of the TRIM maintenance.
How long is it required to run in non raid. For that I need to reinstall a win7 to be able to run the TRIM. If my Raid 0 virtual disk has more than 128 G, I won't be able to recover it's backup on only on disk. How do you suggest to manage this?

cheers

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:57:48 pm »
Also sent via PM

You can use Macrium Reflect
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

or Drive Snapshot
http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

If you use this, you may need to repair windows startup, twice.  This is what I use.

Both programs will keep your alignment, others may or may not.   Some have had success with Acronis, but if you use that be sure it's the latest and that you restore MBR and disk signature when restoring.   That's how I've got it to keep alignment.

Before you go to do the single to RAID, you must enable RAID in the OS first, then in the BIOS as well.  Then do the backup with RAID enabled, using a single drive in RAID Non-Member mode, then do the restore to the array.

To enable RAID in windows now, make the following registry changes, then reboot and set your BIOS to RAID and you will be good to go.

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
Code: [Select]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start

I don't think you need any other controllers, but you could add a bit of voltage to your SB just to be safe if you wanted.

Let me know if you run into any issues.  I'll also copy this to your thread, in case others find it later and would like to know how to do it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aligned is the start of your data on the SSD, all SSD's need to be aligned.   If you let windows 7 create your partitions for you on your initial install your drive should already be aligned.   You can check the alignment with AS SSD benchmark, it will show the alignment in green (Good) or red (Bad)
http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=4

Now that I mention that though, I think you might have a problem with single to RAID move, if you let windows setup your disks previously.   I say this because of the hidden 100MB partition.   Please post me an image of your AS SSD benchmark and I'll let you know for sure.

Ether way you can rebuild the BCD if there is an issue, that's what will be missing on the backup/restore as it's in the 100MB hidden partition, but you can fix that -  it's just a little more work for you is all.

I am not sure what you are asking in your last 2-3 sentences?

ricobelo

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 01:20:17 am »
Hi,

he is my AS SSD Benchmark result :

Regarding my last sentence, let's me clarify.
Let's imagine I have 200 G of data on my Raid 0. How should I proceed to break the Raid and TRIM my disk. I guess I need to run window 7.
Does it mean that I need to reinstall it on my first disk?
I cannot use the image of my Raid 0 because I have 200 G of data , so could not be restore on one C300 after I break the read ( in case I want to use that image to run win7 and trim)

I hope it's a little bit more clear.

thanks

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 03:09:40 pm »
Great thanks!   Now that I see that I can tell you that you do not have the 100MB hidden partition, and you can backup/restore as mentioned above, without having to go through any additional hassles to rebuild the BCD Store.

And yes, you would need a third disk with windows 7 installed if you wanted to force trim the drives out of a broken array every so often.   And as far as backups, those would also need an additional disk to be stored on while you broke the array, you could store them within the extra windows 7 disk if you wanted and there is enough room, or on another separate drive

ricobelo

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 04:03:11 pm »
Thanks,

I would be interested to know how you can seeon the AS SSD picture that I don't have the hidden partition ?

Thanks a lot for sharing your science?

cheers

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 04:05:14 pm »
I would take it that he can tell because it shows it as a single partition with the full size of the drive.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 06:18:19 pm »
That, and your offset is 1024K instead of having the 103424K offset that would be shown if the windows 100MB partition was there.

ricobelo

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 12:50:27 am »
well,

regarding th TRIM, how long shall I brak the Raid to make sure my SSD are fully TRIMed?
Is the usage of Crucial wipertool advised at that stage or you may suggest other tools?

chhers

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 05:33:48 pm »
That all depends on how often you want to do it, you may not need to at all ever as GC does a great job anyway.

You could do it once a month or once every few months if you wanted.   Break the array, boot into windows 7 from another disk, and then force TRIM both drives.  Then re-create the array and mirror your system back to the array, it's that easy and should only take you 10 minutes or so depending on what program you use to put the backup back onto the disk.

Crucial wiper tool does not work for the C300, that is for the old M225 Indilinux drives.

ricobelo

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 10:06:20 pm »
Hi

You could do it once a month or once every few months if you wanted.   Break the array, boot into windows 7 from another disk, and then force TRIM both drives.

How do you force TRIM on win7?

cheers