Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58-UD3R rev 2: won't boot

GA-X58-UD3R rev 2: won't boot
« on: November 19, 2010, 12:52:31 am »
So I recently bought this board and have no problems with it (cold boot switching on and off at the beginning aside) when running it at normal clocks speeds.  When using the overclocking application it works fine up to Twin Turbo overclock but when I restart after the Extreme the machine will not even boot to the CMOS/BIOS.  I am wondering what could be causing this?  I am wondering if an improved heat sink and fan might help as Im currently using the stock heat sync that came with the CPU.

Machine set up:
GA-X58-UD3R
Corsair 1000W PSU
Zotac GTX470
Corsair Dominator GT triple channel DDR3 1866 RAM
Intel core i7 950

Rebel801

Re: GA-X58-UD3R rev 2: won't boot
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 02:48:16 am »
Well it sounds like there could be a problem with a bios setting if works OK before changing settings, I suggest that you provide some specific details of your bios settings (Voltages and frequency settings etc) to allow people to work out the issue for you.

I am curious about your comment "(cold boot switching on and off at the beginning aside)" as I have been trying to determine a cause for a boot up issue on my system. Could you tell me what happens when your system is first started after the AC power has been switched off, does it start (lights & Fans) then stop for a few seconds then start again & boot up?

Thanks

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 03:52:15 am »
I dont know the settings in the BIOS that kill my machine as I cant get in to the BIOS.  The only way around it is to reset the CMOS and start from stock settings.

When my system starts up the lights all light up but then everything shuts down for a few seconds and then everything powers on again.  It does this once most of the time but sometimes does it two or three times on very rare occasions.  Im not too bothered about this because from what I've read it does no damage to the board.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 06:59:32 am »
Well it sounds like there could be a problem with a bios setting if works OK before changing settings, I suggest that you provide some specific details of your bios settings (Voltages and frequency settings etc) to allow people to work out the issue for you.

I am curious about your comment "(cold boot switching on and off at the beginning aside)" as I have been trying to determine a cause for a boot up issue on my system. Could you tell me what happens when your system is first started after the AC power has been switched off, does it start (lights & Fans) then stop for a few seconds then start again & boot up?

Thanks

That is normal, especially if you cut the AC off as it will need to recheck the settings.  This also will happen when you make BIOS changes, depending on the changes you make.

To the OP, yes you need a better cooler.   And if you want to overclock you should really do it in the BIOS, the software is not always going to work and it will always overvolt things more than needed.

Rebel801

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 08:55:02 am »
Thanks for pointing that out Lsdmeasap :)

That has answered a question I have posted on a number of forums regarding boot-up behaviour with these boards. My X58A-UD3R always starts/stops/starts & boots if I switch on my system after the power has been switched off at the socket or PSU - even with Optimised Settings.

It sounds as though not everyone has this behaviour, but its fairly common with intel chipsets.

Until now, nobody has actually came out and said that it is not a faulty component, but just a quirk.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:57:49 am by Rebel801 »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 09:17:49 am »
Yes it is fairly common as you say but it doesn't affect all Intel systems. My own system for instance doesn't have this anomaly and is powered down every night totally. But when I first built it I used a different power supply and noticed it happen with that. Therefore it must be down to the combination of board and PSU I would say.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB