Official GIGABYTE Forum

Is my RAM Compatible?

JKDMind

Is my RAM Compatible?
« on: December 04, 2010, 01:52:22 am »
I know I should of done more research, and I probably should of picked different RAM. But I got it because it was good RAM and at a cheap price and it was 8GB, so I was getting it to future proof my system.

I have G Skill DDR3 1333 Memory, the model number is F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL and I have a Gigabyte GA-EP43T-USB3 Motherboard. I have read both the G Skill memory motherboard compatibility and the Gigabyte motherboard memory compatibility, both on their respected websites, and neither one of them list each other as compatible.

Is it possible that I can get lucky and that everything will be ok? And that there is a chance that they are compatible even though it isn't listed because of the sheer number of hardware that is out there? I haven't built my system and I am just dreading that the memory won't work with my motherboard and I REALLY don't want to switch my memory out for something else because I really like these and plus the whole shipping costs and waiting scene is just not pretty. Thank You for your support.

And just incase I will list my system specs

Chassis/Case
Antec 902 (The one with air filters)

Motherboard/MOBO
Gigabyte GA-EP43T-USB

Processor/CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHZ (I know this will bottleneck my GPU, but it's all I got for now)

CPU Cooler
Corsair A50

Memory/RAM
8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 Dual Channel

Graphics Card/GPU
EVGA GTX 470

Power Supply/PSU
Corsair 650TX

Hard Drives
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Hitachi Deskstar 80GB (Small storage and PF)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:23:17 am by JKDMind »

Fatman

Re: Is my RAM Compatible?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 03:13:34 am »
Just because the ram is not listed on the QVL doesn't mean that it is not supported as you well know. You can only google around and look to see if others are running that ram with the board in question, that's what I would do. If it was me, well I would probably go for it as Gskill seem fairly compatible with Gigabyte, I would be wary of OCZ though.....I do take no responsibilty if I won't work.lol......

JKDMind

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 03:39:29 am »
Heh, don't worry. I understand you take no responsibility, as with anyone here on the forum, lol. I am a intelligent person and I take responsibility for myself of whether I take advice from others and if it does/doesn't work - That's life, lol. Thanks for the post though. I really appreciate it.

JKDMind

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 04:43:05 am »
Also, one more question. Which slots are best to occupy with my motherboard for dual channel with two modules? Slot 1 and 3, or Slot 2 and 4? Closer to the CPU, or further from the CPU? Thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:43:52 am by JKDMind »

Fatman

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 05:39:58 am »
For dual channel 1 and 3

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 11:35:19 am »
As Fatman has said the chances are you can get it working even if you have to play around with the settings and voltages manually.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

JKDMind

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 03:51:51 pm »
Thanks you guys. I'll see what I can do in the BIOS once the setup is built, probably just have to do a BIOS update with Q-Flash. But yeah I normally get Corsair RAM and I love Corsair as a company in general, they make some of the very best stuff around, especially their PSU's. But I saw a good deal on the G Skill RAM and I thought to myself "Meh, I'll give em' a shot."

Thanks for the help again you guys. It was very much appreciated. If all else fails, I will see if I can trade the RAM with G Skill for a compatible kit, if not I guess I will wait and buy some good ol' Corsair RAM, because you simply just can't go wrong buying Corsairs products, lol. Unfortunately though, if that is the case that is going to stall me even further to upgrade my CPU because my current one is well.... pretty sorry, lol. Have a good one!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:00:13 pm by JKDMind »

JKDMind

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 05:23:39 pm »
One last question I promise :)

Even though my CPU is crappy, is it good enough to run the memory at least? I already know it will bottleneck the GPU until I upgrade, but will the system run fine as is? Thanks again. Sorry for the constant questions.

Fatman

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 10:03:35 pm »
Yes it will be fine.........Ask as many questions as you like, if no-one here can help you, I'm sure you'll be guided to a place where you can get help...

JKDMind

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 02:56:41 am »
Well your so very kind Fatman.  :) And for that I will ask this! :)

Well after further investigation of the pack of screws that came with my Antec 902 case, I became very puzzled. I am more commonly aware of hex head or round head with a washer like feature built into both these types of screws for the motherboard that goes into the standoffs.

So I assumed that the hex head washer type screw went into my standoffs. I also check if the threading matches by putting the screw into a spare standoff that is not installed into the case and screw it in gently with my finger as to not strip the threads and to know if the screw was meant for the standoff, or not. But to my surprise it wasn't.

There are only two types of screws that match the standoff perfectly with no hassle and fits easily. The first screw (which I only have three of and does me no good) is a rounded phillips head screw. The second type, which I have eight of and is the exact number of screws I need for my motherboard, is a pan head screw, which the head is flat and has a slight square shape to it. Both of these screws have no metallic washer type feature to them and aren't any type of motherboard screws that I'm familiar with. Are the pan head screws fine to use to hold down my motherboard and that the washer like feature is not necessary?

Does the shape of the screw head even matter? Or is it fine as long as the threading fits the standoff and that the shape of the screw head is irrelevant?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:57:39 am by JKDMind »

Fatman

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 06:19:50 am »
The screw head really doesn't matter so long as it won't touch the motherboard (have to be a broad screwhead eh? LOL) If you are a little concerned, take a stand off to your local computer shop and ask them for either a dozen or so standoffs and screws to match. That's what I did one time when I have different threads. They were only too happy to help me out.

JKDMind

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:34:06 am »
Awesome. Then the screws that I have should work fine. And no the heads to the screws do not extend past the metal ring on the motherboard screw holes. Now... For the FINAL QUESTION!!!! *Echo Echo Echo*

Will my Corsair 650TX PSU be able to handle all my hardware, including when I upgrade to an intel core 2 quad CPU. Without any risk of damage to my computer components and power supply. Basically will my computer/PSU blow up? LOL!

End of Transmission...

*Static*
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:35:44 am by JKDMind »

Fatman

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 03:32:45 am »
I think you should be fine with that PSU, if in the future you want to get another GPU, you might want to think about one that is a bit stronger....Generally the CPU and GPU are what you need to calculate around and then add say.....another 5-10 watts for every other thing you connect up.

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 05:18:53 am »
NOW I think whether my RAM is compatible. *Gulp*

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 10:01:21 am »
NOW I think whether my RAM is compatible. *Gulp*

You have missed out the cooling. You must be getting some hotter weather over there now!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:40:44 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB