Official GIGABYTE Forum

SB850 RAID JBOD Question

mezman

SB850 RAID JBOD Question
« on: December 08, 2010, 04:18:48 pm »
Howdy folks!

Does anyone know if the SB850 can create a JBOD array from a new hard drive and an existing hard drive without destroying the data on the existing drive in the process?  Normally I wouldn't care but in this case the existing drive is my system drive.  I've been using an OCZ Agility 2 SSD as my system drive for the past 6 months but it's just become too space restrictive so I nabbed another one on Black Friday and wanted to RAID them together as a JBOD to make for one 128GB disk.

As an aside, I'm aware that with RAID arrays I don't get TRIM commands passed to the SSD.  However, that's already the case because I've been advised that since I'm already using the SB850 to control another RAID mirror array, I'm better off having NCQ than TRIM.  As such I've set SATA 4/5 set to "As SATA Type" in the BIOS.  Is the consensus here as well that if one must choose TRIM or NCQ, especially for an OS drive, you should go with NCQ? 

Thanks!

Matt

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Windows 7 X64
8GB RAM
MSI GeForce GTX 275
2X750GB RAID 1
2X250GB RAID 0
90GB Agility 2 (OS Drive)
60GB Vertex 2

mezman

Re: SB850 RAID JBOD Question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:26:43 pm »
In case anyone was wondering, making a JBOD array does indeed destroy the data on each spanned drive.  Well, the data is probably fine, but the partition table is blown away so you can't get at anything anyway.  I figured this might happen so I made a drive image of the OS drive before trying to span the two SSDs and was able to restore the image afterward.

Anyhow, the point is, if anyone asks you if the SB850 will destroy the data on two HDDs in the act of spanning them into one JBOD array you can tell them it does.